cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec 2012 doesn't work with a 10Gb HP NC523sfp NIC

AndreSatna
Level 4

Hi All, I have the following sitaution:

I have a Windows 2008 R2 Standard server installed on a HP DL380 G7 server with four 1Gb intergrated NIC's. Only one of the NIC's is enabled with an IP number which connects to our internal Windows AD domain. Backup Exec 2012/sp4 has been installed on this server and all the defined jobs (all windows related) work fine.

Recently I have had to install a 10Gb HP NC523sfp 2-port server adapter in this server. This adapter is connected to a juniper. A SAN environment is also connected to this juniper as is my ESXi hosts. The ip number of this adapter is totally different then the 1Gb NIC and it's only used as a backend management/backup for the SAN.

Here is the strange problem I am encountering. When I connect a cable to the 10Gb NIC Backup Exec will not work and after several minutes the BE services do not respond. I am not even able to restart the BE services, which require a Windows AD account. As soon as I take the cable out of the 10Gb NIC the BE services are able to startup. It looks like Backup Exec is trying to connect to a WIndows AD server through the 10Gb NIC, but it should do it through the 1Gb NIC. By the way, whilst this is happening I am able to ping to my domain servers and I am able to browse the domain. Only Backup Exec is affected.

One of the options I did was ensure that the 1Gb NIC is on top of the priority list. Still I get this issue.

Has anyone else had this problem and come up with a solution?

Thanks for your time,

Andre

PS. I opened a case with Symantec but we haven't come to a working solution yet .

11 REPLIES 11

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi,

What happens if you connect the 10GbE NIC without trying to do anything through Backup Exec? Do you get the same issue?

When this happens, open up BE and check to see which NIC IP it is trying to access in the settings.

Thanks!

AndreSatna
Level 4

CraigV,

Every other process under windows works, only backup exec is affected by the 10Gb NIC. How do I check in BE which NIC IP it's trying to access?

CraigV

...this would be under the Network settings within BE.

Are the drivers for the card the latest too?

pkh
   VIP    Certified

Click on the BE button ---> Configuration and Settings ---> Backup Exec Settings and under Network and Security, you can specify the default NIC that you want to use for new jobs.

For existing jobs, you would have to edit the job and choose the NIC under the Network and Security properties.

AndreSatna
Level 4

Hi PKH,

I have set my 1Gb card is the default NIC, but still the 10Gb is causing problems. Only in BE and not under Windows. I have installed the latest driver for the 10Gb NIC and I have updated Backup Exec to the latest sp4 servicepack.

As mentioned earlier as soon as I enable the 10Gb NIC Backup Exec services start acting up wierd. I don't even start a process or run a backup job I just open BE. I have to disbable the 10Gb NIC's and restart the BE services to get it working normal again.

CraigV

You might consider logging a support call for this so that an engineer can check your setup properly.

Thanks!

AndreSatna
Level 4

CraigV I already did that with Symantec. We are nog getting very far there. I was hoping that someone might have had the same problem. I have seen some issue's with 10Gb NIC's and Backup Exec 2012 were the user went back to version 2010. I hope I don't have to do that.

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Would you pls PM me the case number. Thanks !

CraigV

...I would then ask the question of support if this is fixed in BE 2014 which is out on the 2nd June...might then be worthwhile to consider an upgrade.

Thanks!

AndreSatna
Level 4

Hi VJware, the case number is Symantec Technical Support Case Number: 06646581.

Thank you

CraigV, I actual need the 10Gb card to work after this weekend. We have a SAN upgrade planned and I'll be backing up the cifs environment over the 10Gb line, if and when I get it working.

AndreSatna
Level 4

Hi there everyone, is there anyone who has Backup Exec 2012/sp4, latest hotfixes working with a 10Gb NIC?
I thought my problem mught be related to a HP NIC so we purchased an Intel 10Gb NIC. I have the same, frustrating problem. It works under Windows but as soons as I go into Backup Exec, Backup Exec services stop.

Does anyone have experiences with a primary 1Gb card and a secondary 10Gb card for NDMP backups?

Andre