cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec 2012 error: 0xe00084af - The directory or file was not found, or could not be accessed.

aadamic
Level 2

I have recently been given the duty to be the sole individual in charge of backups for my organization. Backups have been easy to maintain until this error began preventing any backup to tape from even starting. The tape would be pulled into the library, run for a minute "Job rate 0 MB/min" then fail with the error "The directory or file was not found, or could not be accessed." I have worked with the tape library provider to rule out hardware issues on that end.

The Job Completion Status for the jobs appear as:

Completed status: Failed
Final error: 0xe00084af - The directory or file was not found, or could not be accessed.
Final error category: Job Errors

For additional information regarding this error refer to link V-79-57344-33967

I have not found anything in the referal link to be helpful.

The error appears as:

Backup- \\XXXXX.XXXXXX.XXXXX.local\H:
Directory \\XXXXX.XXXXX.XXXXX.local\H:\ was not found, or could not be accessed. None of the files or subdirectories contained within will be backed up. V-79-57344-65033 - Directory not found. Cannot backup directory \<Directory_Name> and its subdirecto...

I do not used the Advanced Open File Options due to issues i've heard restoring the backup data (possible corruption). 

Within my Application Logs I see:

"An unusual error (1393) was encountered while enumerating the contents of the directory:

\\XXXXX.XXXX.XXXX.XXX\H:\. (there is also one for \\XXXXX.XXXX.XXXX.XXX\H:\<Directory_Name>)

It is possible that files or subdirectories have not been backed up. Please examine your job log or catalogs to ensure this directory tree was backed up in its entirety.

For more information, click the following link:
http://eventlookup.veritas.com/eventlookup/EventLookup.jhtml"

We have recently changed the tapes we use from FUJIFILM LTO Ultrium 4 to HPE LTO Ultrium 4.

I've tried Catrebuildindex.exe -r, deleting and re-creating jobs, making new job with new data on new drives, chkdsk, installing windows updates, installing drivers for tape libraries, stopping the SQL VSS service.

There is nothing different that I am doing since when it was last working. Unsure the cause of this issue I am having. Any ideas?

2 REPLIES 2

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

@aadamic 

I do not believe that the error has anything to do with tape devices.

You may want to double-check the job configuration and especially the credentials used for the backup of the CIFS share. 
Maybe the credentials have changed or a password has expired.

Please have a look at this Article and review the config as if it is a new job:
https://www.veritas.com/content/support/en_US/article.100008169.html

If the credentials are correct, you should be able to browse the network share (click Edit in the left pane).
If you can navigate through the folders on the share in this screen, then the backup should work. 

@Marianne 

I appreciate your reply.

I am not trying to backup data from a share. The data I wish to backup is local. I am connecting external drives to the host machine that is running the Backup Exec software. My backup selection for the jobs appear as the attatched images show.

Backup_selections.PNGBackup_selections_2.PNG

As far as the credentials go, I ran the credential test across everything and recieved the following results: (Most of the failures are from drives that are no longer connected to my host machine. The drive I am trying to access in this instance, H:, shows as a success.)

Backup_Credential_Testing.PNGI see that the "BKUPEXEC" name had failed. Would that be an issue for the Backup Exec Software?

Any thoughts are welcome.