cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec 2012 keeps getting unresponsive

Affinity_eSolut
Level 3

This is related to my posted I did before

http://www.symantec.com/connect/forums/backup-exec-2012-keeps-getting-unresponsive

Reformating did not fix my issue. From looks of it it does not seem to be hardware related and more Symantec Backup Related. Anyone else had this issue?​

This is what i originally posted, and still the same now that i am using Symantec Backup 2015.

From time to time. It seems to be random. Could be in a months time. or a week or a couple days. It hasn't been unresponsive for a month now, but this past week it has done it 3 times.

What happens is the Backup server will be unresponsive, and I can moved the mouse or ping it or remote into it. Only way I can get into it is shut down and restart.

When it comes back up it shows no error in windows event viewer logs. related to the crash. Anything where else i can look?

I am now on Server 2012r2 with symantec backup 2015

5 REPLIES 5

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

...check the hardware:

1. Server logs to see if this is hardware-related (CPU, memory, disk)

2. Backup device logs to see if this is hardware-related.

Thanks!

Affinity_eSolut
Level 3

As i mentioned before in my post, from reviewing event logs, it doesn't give any errors. the only error it does give is that i did a power shutdown to restart the server since its unresponsive.

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

Are you backing up VMware virtual Machines?

As if yes you may need to be running at least Backup Exec 2014 with latest SP (although preferably BE 15 + FP1) and also use a reg key as you may have this condition

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH209119

Affinity_eSolut
Level 3

I am backing Hyper-V VMs is that the same thing? if so i will try this fix.

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

The reg keys look VMware specific to me so I doubt they will fix an issue with Hyper-V