cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec 2012 - media scratched but data remains

aharte
Level 3

Hi,

As the Title says. I scratched a number of LTO 5 tapes and used them for subsequent backups, when I look at the data stored on the Tapes after a new backup job the old data is still on the tapes.  

I was under the impression that once the tape was scratched and reused any old data should be destroyed.  

Any ideas anyone?

Thanks,

A.

6 REPLIES 6

AmolB
Employee Accredited Certified

When you move tapes to the scratch media set than the tape becomes overwritable and as in when

you run backups on the tape the old data gets overwritten. Old data will not be erased untill its 

ovewritten by new.

Kiran_Bandi
Level 6
Partner Accredited

I was under the impression that once the tape was scratched and reused any old data should be destroyed.

That is correct.

when I look at the data stored on the Tapes after a new backup job the old data is still on the tapes.

No way. Once overwritten, you cannot see old data on tapes.

BTW how you are so sure of old data being present on the tapes which were overwritten?

Colin_Weaver

Did you append to the tapes for the subsequent backups instead of overwriting them?

aharte
Level 3

Yes append is used by default for all jobs.  But on scratch media that should not be an issue?.

I am sure data is old because of the the creation date of data on the tape.  IE I scratched the tapes wed and ran a number of duplication jobs but data from 3 days previously not included in any of the new jobs is still showing on the tape.  

Just to add, the data duplicated after the scratch would not be enough to fill the tape so there would be space for the "scratched data".  I thought once a scratch and a single write was done the data was gone regardless of the size of write.  

Thanks,

Colin_Weaver

Is it just the catalogs still on the media server - i.e. have you actually tried to restore a small sample of old data?

pkh
   VIP    Certified

How do you scratch your media?  Move it to the Scratch Media Set?