cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec 2012 persists in emailing broken HTML

avalanche
Level 3

Hi,

I'm having trouble getting Backup Exec 2012 to send a readable job log for the Jobs Summary report. The HTML attachment it sends is broken - it seems to include some sort of unexpected character at the start that makes Chrome, Firefox and IE all fail to parse it, as does my email client. They end up displaying it as raw text, which is of course pretty much unreadable.

Not only that, but I've gone to Backup Exec Settings and set Email job log attachments to Attach job logs as text - and I'm STILL getting them as broken HTML!

Any ideas?

6 REPLIES 6

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Not only that, but I've gone to Backup Exec Settings and set Email job log attachments to Attach job logs as text - and I'm STILL getting them as broken HTML!

Afaik, this applies only to job logs, not to the reports (Jobs Summary in this case). Reports can be sent in either html or pdf. If you set it to pdf, do you receive the email notification properly ?

Are you facing this issue only for this particular report or for other reports as well ?

avalanche
Level 3

Hmm, really? Because if I don't check "Include the job log in email notifications" I don't get a report, just a short message about the job competing successfully... but if I do check "include the job log" then I get the report, though in broken HTML. This seems to affect every report I've tried, at least out of the predefined ones.

I'm probably missing something obvious, but where is the html/pdf setting?

VJware
Level 6

Click on the BE button - Configuration & Settings - Backup Exec settings - Reports. Set it to pdf and see if this makes a difference or not.

When you edit a scheduled report and click on the notification tab, there is a check-box for "include the report in email notification"... this should email the report.. whereas email job log attachments refers to the job log which is generated when a backup job completes.

avalanche
Level 3

I found the PDF setting, so thanks for that. It does produce a readable PDF attachment, a bit wonkily formatted with every other page blank except for headers/footers, but it's a perfectly fine workaround.

However, there is NO "include the report..." checkbox on the Notification tab when scheduling a report job or editing a scheduled one. There is only "include the job log" and that one does seem to govern whether the report gets attached or not.

schedule_report.PNG

VJware
Level 6

My bad. I was referencing a BE 2014 system at my end.

If you change the setting back to HTML and run a report, is the output in a readable format ? (Trying to determine if there is an issue with HTML only while email notifications or while running a report as well)

avalanche
Level 3

I just tried changing it back, and the HTML still confuses browsers and email. At least the PDF alternative works right, thanks. :)

We do have a 2014 upgrade in the pipeline. 2012 seems to be kind of buggy in general, so hopefully we'll have a better experience there...