cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec 2012 "any tape cartridge storage" changes possible?

Nils_1973
Level 2

Dear community,

I have also made the step from Backupexec 2010 to 2012 and have installed the latest hotfixes as of today (Version 14.0 Rev. 1798 (64-bit).

I have in my network an HP deduplication device (D2D2504i) and it shows up in Backup Exec as a virtual tape devices without any problem.

My problem however is that it gets allocated to the any tape cartridge storage. I do not want this to happen so I have found an article on Symantecs website telling me how to create a new storage device pool. I created one called any virtual tape cartridge storage. Now I am able to see the properties of the any tape cartridge storage pool but I cannot remove the checkmarks of the virtual tape devices. Is there any way to correct this problem? Maybe even in the registry?

Regards,

Nils

3 REPLIES 3

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

I think the idea is that you create a custom storage pool and add the devices you want to use to that pool and then use that custom pool for your jobs. The automatic selection of devices for the built in pools cannot be edited.

Nils_1973
Level 2

Hi Colin,

Many thanks for your fast reply. So you would suggest to create 2 new device storage groups. One being any tape device and the other new group called any virtual tape devices and not use the default tape storage pool I guess?

Regards.

Nils

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

Depnds on how many vtls and how many libraries/stand alone tape drive you have.

if you only have 1 of each then probably better to jkust directly target the device instead of the pool.

However yes if you have more than one of each then create your own custom pools and use those.