cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec 2012 single backup for Multiple Servers.

santoshpawar
Level 4

Hello,

I have multiple windows server.  I am using backupexec version 2012.  I need to backup my all server in single backup job like my previous backup exec version 2010.

But In backup exec 2012 i am not able to create common backup job for my all servers.  I don't want to create seprate backup job for each my server.

Can anyone please tell me how to configure one single backup job who can take backup of my multiple servers????

Thanks ,

Santosh Pawar

[Symantec Veritas Operations]

47 REPLIES 47

espartan
Level 2

forgive me if im wrong. im planning and designing a backup and recovery strategy utilising symantec. I belive the requirement for the user is a caso license? this will allow the user to centrally manage all backups and most importantly assist the user from a recovery point of view?

Elizabeth_Teffn
Level 4
Employee

Sorry for the delay in responding.  I actually got to take a few days of PTO.  Woo Hoo...

We have received a lot of feedback from our users and there were several regarding how we've made it a bit tricky to schedule some backup scenarios.  We are in the process of enhancing some of the schedule options. These new options are set to be released soon (sorry can't give an exact date). 

If you are interested in taking a look at this and give me some feedback on these new options, please send me a DM and I can set up a WebEx session.  I'm very curious to see if the new additions we are working on will allow you to schedule your backups.

BTW - anyone else who is reading this thread and is interested, please feel free to DM me!!

Regards... Elizabeth

Elizabeth_Teffn
Level 4
Employee

ForemanNZ,

See my comment above to jaikudo's post.  The same offer applys!  I'd love to have you take a look at the upcoming scheduler additions to see if these will help with your scheduling options.  Feel free to DM me!!

Regards... Elizabeth

BanksyMJ
Level 4
Employee Accredited

Hi Espartan

If you have a single Backup Exec Media Server then you can manage all your backups from that server. If you have multiple BE Media Servers then you can use CASO to 'promote' one of the Media Servers to a central management server. From this management server you can manage backups, restores, storage etc. on all your BE Media Servers.

In BE 2012 the CASO option is now part of the Enterprise Server Option (ESO). ESO also includes the Advanced Disk Backup Option (ADBO) and the SAN Share Storage Option (SSSO). If you have are still in maintenance and have either CASO, ADBO or SSSO. When you upgrade to BE 2012 you are automatically entitled to ESO.

Regards

MJ

Elizabeth_Teffn
Level 4
Employee

Chris,

Sorry I missed this earlier when you posted this.  I can't give out dates when this will be released. What I can tell you is that the team is diligently working on this.  There are several threads on SymConnect that touch on the backup jobs with multiple servers.  When I have updates I can release, I'll post those to all the various threads.

I ran one round of user testing with an earlier version. I do have plans on running another round to get more user feedback.  Keep an eye peeled for that post.  I'm "hoping" to get this in the works in less than a month.

Best Regards,

Elizabeth

Karl_Wilhelm
Level 2
Certified

Hi

Are we any closer to fixing this issue?

This is a huge problem when backing up files and folders on clustered resources as each instance must be backed up separately and treated individually :(

Cheers

K

dedupe-works
Level 5
Employee Accredited

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH189306

How to back up multiple servers to a single series of tapes in Backup Exec 2012

GAD_Tech
Level 3

Yeah, I kind of figured that out the first time I started using BE 2012. Excuse me for saying so, but when I was younger that was called a workaround, not a solution as TECH189306 calls it.

The problem that you still have is that you have to guess when the previous backup will be done and schedule the next one to start sometime after that. That I know of, there is no trigger in BE that says the previous backup is done and now you can switch servers and start the other one.

As I see it, the need for a solution still exists. But thanks for something to work with until that solution is implemented.

BTW, others have suggested this same article further up the thread. I'm hoping that what I read that Elizabeth is working on will be what we need.

GAD Tech

Karl_Wilhelm
Level 2
Certified

I agree with you GAD Tech. While this work around is great for complete(all drives and states) server backups what about selectively only backing up say the X:\Backup folder on each server? Thats where the workaround falls short.

Elizabeth was kind enough to mail me back saying as soon as they have a solution it will be posted.

Cheers

K

BobsBarlo
Level 3

Sigh!

After spending two days thinking I would look like a complete idiot for asking how to backup 2 servers at the same time I find .

Lets hear it for Backup Exec 2010!!

I can't believe how much time I waisted on this!! no

VincentStrijd
Not applicable

I have been working with Backup Exec for a very long time, with various employers and have always been very satisfied with Symantec products.

Unfortunately, about three months ago, I decided to upgrade to BE 2012, since then I did not have a successfull backup, we are running a mixed environment with the majority of our servers virtualized on VMWare ESX 4 and a few physical servers.
Besides the one job per server nightmare and the try and tweak all jobs to go to one tape rather then all 30+ servers ending up on a seperate tape (You might think Symantec is a major stockholder in LTO-tape producing companies)
My biggest problem is that the VMWare backups can not be used to restore individual files (despite the fact that this is clearly advertised)

I have just re-installed my entire backup environment for a third (and final) time, if I still experience problems, I am done with Symantec and will start looking for other solutions on the market.

To end with some positive feedback... If you have only one physical server with one single tape drive, Backup Exec 2012 is a very nice and easy to configure product.
For our smaller (single server) branches it works perfectly.

ForemanNZ
Level 4

I had Symantec send me a survey the other day, so I let rip!

The biggest problem with the product is they changed the very fabric of how it backs up your environment, instead of creating a parallel product with the server sentric style.  This is not Windows Backup, this is a product you use to backup your complex business system into a tried and tested backup infrastructure, and when you change how it talks to both its sources and targets without offering the setup everyone knows, you add substancial cost and risk to make it work.

espartan
Level 2

Thats interesting. Looking at rolling out a new backup and recovery strategy incorporating BE2012. Whole project is approx £36k. Not going to venture unless I know BE2012 will work.  

Spyda1999
Level 3

* help please *

With the new changes for backup exec - you can't easily identify the backup tapes used for both full and incremental backups.

We previously had one or two backup jobs for our small sever environment – within the backup job it listed under ‘device and storage’ the backup tapes used for that job for all our servers.

Now under the server centric model, I have to click each server and locate or check the tape number for that job.

I’m not sure if its me or I don’t know how to drive the program, but is there a way to get the tape number for our weekly backup job like under the old version.

The new changes for backup exec don't seem to show you the tape number for a given backup jobs.

techdruid
Not applicable

I just want to be notified if/when a new release comes out that allows multiple servers in a single backup.

I'm using the workaround right now, but would like the solution.

Not sure I'll be updated or not, since I don't recall being asked for my email address before posting this.  But hopefully Symantec finds it based on me being logged into mysupport.

gdevrye
Not applicable

After reading the entire post, I gave 2012 a try. Took me 15 minutes to realise it's not going to work. From two jobs for daily and 3 for weekly backups, I ended up with 30+ jobs. That's just not possible. I immediately did a rollback from the server image I had previously taken.

The problem is: i was expecting to use Bexec 2012 to backup/recover a sharepoint farm running SQL 2012, and Bexec 2010 does not support it. I contacted Symantec support and got: 

"SQL 2012 is supported only with Backup Exec 2012, It is not supported with Backup Exec 2010 R3. We are sorry, there is no workaround for SQL 2012 with Backup Exec 2010 R3"

Unless someone can help here, I guess I will have to look somewhere else for another backup software doing Exchange, Sharepoint, SQL2012 and Linux...

So much time, money and effort wasted. Not too happy about it.

Karl_Wilhelm
Level 2
Certified

Hey gdevrye

You could get your DBA's to schedule a full SQL backup to file and back that up as a workaround.

It is not ideal but would be a point in time backup of the DB for now.

Cheers

K

pkh
   VIP    Certified

You would probably end up with a logicall inconsistent Sharepoint farm if you restore the individual databasess.  See my blog 

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/blogs/can-i-backup-sap-database-sql-or-oracle-agent

RECH
Level 2

Hello.

I have been trying to 'fiddle' with the 2012 backup for a month and I'm still having issues during my weekend jobs. (3 servers to one tape).

With 2010r3 I had no issues, all was working with no issues. Moved to 2013 and I found myself with 3 different jobs and schedules (not counting with the verify jobs).

I have removed the weekend jobs (as they were all going to the same tape) and just going for the week jobs to try to get reliable backups. (as I'm at the office)

I want multiple servers per job back (as 2010).

Do we have an ETA on this?

R