cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec 2012 slow

lucasan
Level 3

Hi I've made some test with Backup Exec 2012 and Windows Server Backup 2008 R2. BE is installed on a second server with windows server 2003. The backup with WSB is launched on physical server with windows server 2008 (in this server is also intalled Agent for Windows). This is the result for backup 60 GB on network:

BE 2012 2 hours

WSB 2008 R2 35 minutes

Why BE is so slow? I've to set something in job?

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

lucasan
Level 3

Hi, the problem was that Mediaserver was remote. I've installed Mediaserver on the server I've to backup and the job time is almost the same as WSB. The time is double because WSB don't make verify.

Thanks

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

Backup_Exec1
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Hi

Are you doing backup with backupexec for first time or was this working before , if it was working before then compare the job log of the previous one when it was working & compare the job log of current when it is not working so we can find on which resource it slow to resolve it further

Thanks

pkh
   VIP    Certified

Have you read the user's post at all?  He is comparing the backup speed of BE with that of Windows Backup.  Whether it works before is immaterial.  DO NOT POST FOR THE SAKE OF POSTING!!!

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi,

So the Windows backup is running locally to a local disk, and the BE 2012 backup is running across the LAN?

There are then many considerations you need to take into account:

1. What you're backing up to using BE 2012...if tape, check and see if you can tweak the settings a bit to get a bigger performance increase. Check pkh's article below on this:

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/articles/tuning-my-lto4-tape-drive

2. Make sure your NIC and switch ports are configured to the fastest speed of the NIC (ie. 1000MB FULL).

3. Check and see if your AV is actively scanning the BE services. If so, put in an exclusion.

4. Make sure there are no maintenance tasks running on the target server (like full AV scans, Exchange maintenance tasks etc).

Thanks!

Backup_Exec1
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Hi

It does make a difference though he is comparing with windows backup software it is necessary to ask that if this has ever worked before and comparing with windows software which is backing up locally & then comparing that with backupexec which is backing up over the network will be of no use to find the root cause. I hope you understand that

Thanks

lucasan
Level 3

Hi,

1 - 2 I'm backing up using BE 2012 with this scenario: BE mediaserver on server1 with win 2003 std -> full backup of server2 (win server 2008 r2) -> backup destination Buffalo Nas with win server storage 2008 r2 with Lan 1000 (NIC & switch). The WSB is running on server 2 with full backup on Nas

3 I'm using Symantec Endpoint Protection 12.1 with exception on folder in server 2 I've to backup

4 No maintenance task on Nas

Thank for all suggestions

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

...OK, turn off SEP for testing purposes and rerun the backup job.

lucasan
Level 3

Hi, the problem was that Mediaserver was remote. I've installed Mediaserver on the server I've to backup and the job time is almost the same as WSB. The time is double because WSB don't make verify.

Thanks