cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec 2012 - state of readiness (errors)

masarost
Level 2

I wanted to open a new forum to see how many people are having issues with BE 2012.  Here are some (not all I might add) of the issues I am having:

- upgraded from 2010 to 2012.  Did not go well.  Had to rip it out and install new from 2012

- issues with credential connecting to servers/vmhost to backup

- jobs failing for all sorts of reasons (not connecting, credentials, items changed)

- adding central admin server changes all previous jobs making them fail (changes network settings on jobs) WHY?

3 REPLIES 3

Jaydeep_S
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

BE 2012 has a different UI all together, there by causing some confusion a lot of times till you get used to it. I would suggest you to make sure that you have applied all availble updates to minimize the errors.

Also, it would be better if you post the errors that you ar getting so that we can help you fix them

masarost
Level 2

This particular forum was for people to list general errors they are having with the new release of BE2012, not for you to solve the issue on this forum.  I am sure the new release is having mega issues because I am.  For example, a real annoying one is when central admin is turned on this process goes in and changes all of your backup jobs.  Mine all failed because of it.

How about the following errors:

The Backup Exec server was unable to connect to remote machine (null) because a network interface ma...

V-79-57344-915 - Unable to complete the operation. The following error was returned when opening the...

The Backup Exec Agent for Microsoft Exchange was not used to create the last full backup of this database. You must use the Exchange Agent to run a full backup before you run a differential or incremental backup.

Backup Exec attempted to back up an Exchange database according to the job settings. The database was not found, however. Update the selection list and run the job again.

Unable to open a disk of the virtual machine.
VixDiskLib_Open() reported the error: You do not have access rights to this file

The version of the Agent for Windows is incompatible with the Backup Exec server. Upgrade the Agent for Windows to the same version as the Backup Exec servers.

There are hundreds more, but I had to rip out the install of BE 2012 and start over again.

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi,

After BE 2012 was released, a thread of complaints grew to 7 pages. Symantec jumped on this and had one-on-ones with people in different countries to find out what the issues were and how to approach them.

The end result was most likely the announcement of BE 2012 R2's Beta programme which you should check out below:

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/blogs/new-beta-program-backup-exec-2012-r2

Back to the thread I mentioned above...lots of people knew about these issues, and it seems like Symantec have gone some way to fixing a lot of the errors. I doubt that starting another thread for something that has been noted will help much to be honest.

The poster above your post isn't far off...open forum queries for the serious, "show-stopping" issues you are facing (not the 100s you stated) and see if those can be worked out here. Connect is a good-enough place for that.

Thanks!