Did you mean: 

Backup Exec 2012 vs Backup of Active Directory

Typeroon
Level 3

Hello,

All of my servers backup jobs are configured like this;

Friday = full backup to disk + backup to tape

monday to thursday = Incremental Backups to disk + differential backup to tape

In the backup options of my ADS server (under Microsoft Active Directory),  there is a "information comment" that says.    "Only full backups of Active Directory are allowed"

I know that the message is telling it all but does it means that even if Backup Exec let me configure an incremental backup job,  only the full backup job is actually usefull ?

Thanks for clarifying that for me.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

pkh
   VIP    Certified

AD is backed up when you back up the system state of a DC.  Even if the job is an incremental/differential job, the system state, and hence AD, would always be backed up as a full backup.  The rest of the resources would backed up as an incremental/differential backup.  For example, your incremental backup job backs up the C: drive as well as the system state, the system state would be backed up fully and the C: drive would be backed up incrementally.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1

pkh
   VIP    Certified

AD is backed up when you back up the system state of a DC.  Even if the job is an incremental/differential job, the system state, and hence AD, would always be backed up as a full backup.  The rest of the resources would backed up as an incremental/differential backup.  For example, your incremental backup job backs up the C: drive as well as the system state, the system state would be backed up fully and the C: drive would be backed up incrementally.