cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec 2012 with “software compression”.

simlip
Level 4

Bonjour,

I have Backup Exec 2012, I have defined backup to use “software compression”.

My last backup seems to have well backup all the data with success but I have a compression rate to 1:1.

Please help me, is it normal?

Thanks;

Regards,

simlip

5 REPLIES 5

pkh
   VIP    Certified

It could be that your data is already compressed and cannot be compressed further.  See my article on this subject.

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/articles/compression-short-explanation

If you are writing to tape, then it will always report a 1:1 compression because the amount of data sent to the tape drive is the same as that that is written onto the tape.  In this situation, you got to look at the joblog and calculate the actual compression achieved.

Larry_Fine
   VIP   

In this situation, you got to look at the joblog and calculate the actual compression achieved.

When using software compression, each job log will document the compression ratio obtained for that job.  No calculation required.

pkh
   VIP    Certified

I am aware of this, but the compression ratio in the joblog is not accurate.  It will always report 1:1, even if the ratio is something like 1:2, i.e you have more compressed data than what you have started with.  It is better to calculate the actual ratio, especially in a case like this.

Larry_Fine
   VIP   

What version of BE always reports 1:1?

My BE 2012 shows software compression numbers.

Backed up 51 files in 2 directories.
Processed 53,687,179,240 bytes in  17 minutes and  43 seconds.
Throughput rate: 2890 MB/min
Compression Type: Software
Software compression ratio: 1.1:1
Encryption Type: Hardware

pkh
   VIP    Certified

In BE 2010.  When you start with 100GB and the compressed data is 200GB.  BE will report the compression ratio as 1:1, although it should be 0.5:1 or 1:2.  This fact has been confirmed by Symantec Tech Support.  I am not sure whether this is fixed in BE 2012.