cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec 2012

deseanellis
Level 2

Hi,

I have a robitic tape library with 24 slots. About 10 VMs all running Windows Server 2008. I'd like to perform daily backups on all servers.

E.g.

Servers 1-6: Backup Schedule

Full on Saturday (Weekly)

Incremental on Weekdays (Daily)

Servers 7-10: Backup Schedule

Full on Saturday (Weekly)

All of this goes to disk at the moment, what I would like to do is to backup on tape, so that when it is Saturday, backup exec will pull a tape that I have specified for use on Saturday and backup on that tape. Then it would select Monday's tape on Monday, Tuesday's on Tuesday etc. How can this be accomplished?

Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

If you want to be that granular about it then yes, you'd have to do that. But 2 partitions with correct media set settings would also be fine.

Otherwise just set your media set properties correctly, and let BE use whichever tape it needs to in a single partition.

Interesting article on this as well by pkh below:

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/articles/must-mondays-backup-be-monday-tape

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

CraigV

Hi,

You would either partition your library accordingly so that your jobs target specific partitions. But, within these partitions, you need to ensure that the correct media is placed in them, and then that your media set properties (Append/Overwrite Protection Period) are configured correctly.

Not always easy to get right the first time so you might have to play around with your settings.

Thanks!

deseanellis
Level 2

Thanks CraigV,

I understand the partitioning option looked into a bit, however it seems that i would have to create partitions for each day and backup jobs for each day as well. Currently i have jobs but they run on a schedule. One job per server; with partitions would i need to create a job for each day and for each server?

CraigV

If you want to be that granular about it then yes, you'd have to do that. But 2 partitions with correct media set settings would also be fine.

Otherwise just set your media set properties correctly, and let BE use whichever tape it needs to in a single partition.

Interesting article on this as well by pkh below:

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/articles/must-mondays-backup-be-monday-tape

deseanellis
Level 2

thanks alot CraigV i'm getting through with this using the media sets, it was a bit tricky at first