cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec 2012

John_Raj
Level 3

Hi Guys,

I am in the process of evaluating Backup Exec 2012 and just wanted to confirm the following points. Much appreciated if someone could confirm these.

1> If I have a virtual computer with 2 vmdks (C:\ and D:\), individual vmdk cannot be restored?

2> Do I always have to select the option to delete the existing vm before restoring?

3> I do know that backing up through the vcenter is quite slower than backing up through the esx server, but I am agetting a reate of 7GB/min while backing up through the esx and just 600MB/min while backing up through the vcenter. I am backing up through the SAN. How can there be such a big difference?

4> If the esx is managed by a vcenter, restores will work only through the vcenter?

thanks

Raj

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Rahul_Kumar1
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

John,

You are correct. If ESX is managed through Vcenter then restores will have to be done through Vcenter. I am attaching a Tech article for the same.

With the release 5.0, VMware has blocked the ability to restore virtual machines to ESX hosts that are managed by vCenter.

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH173237

Thanks

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

Colin_Weaver

1) At this current time yes you have to restore all of the VMDKs

2) You can redirect the restore and then keep the host and datastore the same but change the VM name, which assuming you have enough disk space can be used to verify that your restores work, however if the VM you are trying to restroe or redirect to already exists then you must check that option to delete.

3) there should not be such a big difference, however I am not sure what to suggest to troubleshoot it as it is probably not completely  a BE problem. BTW the main reason for backing up via vcenter relates to if you have high availability configurations in your esx setup, although there are secondary reasons relating to ease of management and security configuration as well.

4) backups and restores can be performed via vcenter or direct to/from the host without us really caring which way the other process will be performed (although you will have to use the redirection options to swap from one to the other as the automatic/back to original location mode goes back the way it was backed up.) EDIT: see later posts in this thread as it appears at least for this point that ESX 5.0 and later do have a limitation where restores in a Vcenter environment now have to be performed via vCenter,

John_Raj
Level 3

Thanks for the info.

Regarding 4> - I tried to restore a vm and I got a message saying that the esx is managed by a vcenter and will have to be restored through the vcenter. So basically, if the esx is managed, restores will have to be done through the vcenter?

thanks

Rahul_Kumar1
Level 6

John,

You are correct. If ESX is managed through Vcenter then restores will have to be done through Vcenter. I am attaching a Tech article for the same.

With the release 5.0, VMware has blocked the ability to restore virtual machines to ESX hosts that are managed by vCenter.

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH173237

Thanks

Rahul_Kumar1
Level 6

John,

If the above comment has answered your questions then please mark it as a solution.

Thanks

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi,

Can you please edit your previous post with EDIT and then include the information you want to add to any posts where you posted no more than a few minutes prior (in this case under a minute)?

Also, I'd assume that the OP hasn't checked this out just yet either wink

Thanks!