cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec 2014 - Backup MS SQL .bak files with Agent for Windows

pmevalenzuela
Level 5

Hi.

Got a server with MS SQL installed. And my existing vacant license is Agent for Windows.

I'm at a pinch here, I cannot buy Agent for Application & database in the next few months due to budget contraints.

Question:

1. I plan to do a normal MS SQL backups. Then let backup exec backup the backup files such as ".bak".

Would this work ?

2. Can I upgrade Agent for Windows to Agent for Application and Database ?

Thanks,

Paul

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

...the RAWS agent is a separate agent with no upgrade path at all. You'd need to purchase the Agent for Databases and Applications and install the license on the media server to unlock that potential to backup SQL.

Thanks!

View solution in original post

pkh
   VIP    Certified

I have not seen a document listing the file extensions in the AFE, but it is safe to assume that the file extensions of data files of applications/databases covered by BE agents are in the list, e.g. .mdf and .ldf for SQL databases, .edb for Exchange, etc.  AFE is designed to prevent double backup when a user select the entire server for backup.

AFE cannot be modified.  There is a registry setting to disable AFE for Lotus Domino files, but I have not seen  the same thing for SQL database files.

Even if you are able to backup an application's database files, you need to shutdown the application before you can back up these files.  This is so that they are in a consistent state.

For SQL, if you do not have the necessary Agent for Applications and Database licences, then the only way is the use SQL Studio to backup the databases and then backup the resultant .bak files with AWS.  This is an acceptable backup method.

As long as you don't backup the SQL databases by selecting them from the Microsoft SQL Databases node, you are not backing up the databases using the agent so you are not in violating licences and you would not be prompted.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

AmolB
Employee Accredited Certified

1) Yes it will work.

2) If your question is from licensing point of view than i would suggest you to check with the Symantec

License Team  http://www.symantec.com/docs/HOWTO42310

CraigV

...the RAWS agent is a separate agent with no upgrade path at all. You'd need to purchase the Agent for Databases and Applications and install the license on the media server to unlock that potential to backup SQL.

Thanks!

pmevalenzuela
Level 5

Hi,

Where do we find the Active File Exclusion (AFE) List, can this be modified ?

How does, Backup Exec 2014 determine if your under licensed or not.

I ask this question, for example you got ten (10) servers and nine (9) RAWs licensed installed on them with one (1) Agent for Applicairion & Databases.

But eight (8) have MS SQL DB, but you don't backup the SQL DB just the .bak files will backup exec prompt you to buy Agent for Application & Databse License for all eight (8) ?

Thanks,

Paul

Thanks.

pkh
   VIP    Certified

I have not seen a document listing the file extensions in the AFE, but it is safe to assume that the file extensions of data files of applications/databases covered by BE agents are in the list, e.g. .mdf and .ldf for SQL databases, .edb for Exchange, etc.  AFE is designed to prevent double backup when a user select the entire server for backup.

AFE cannot be modified.  There is a registry setting to disable AFE for Lotus Domino files, but I have not seen  the same thing for SQL database files.

Even if you are able to backup an application's database files, you need to shutdown the application before you can back up these files.  This is so that they are in a consistent state.

For SQL, if you do not have the necessary Agent for Applications and Database licences, then the only way is the use SQL Studio to backup the databases and then backup the resultant .bak files with AWS.  This is an acceptable backup method.

As long as you don't backup the SQL databases by selecting them from the Microsoft SQL Databases node, you are not backing up the databases using the agent so you are not in violating licences and you would not be prompted.

CraigV

Hi Paul,

Here is the list...and it's basically all the applications that BE itself protects:

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH92375

Thanks!