cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec 2014, Dedup option and current backups...

DavidinCT
Level 2

Hi,

Cant really find an answer here so, I figured I would see if anyone could give me an idea if i will run into any problems.

We are currently running backups to Disk with a once a week to tape. The problem is space on the backup to disk (20tb goes fast). So we are looking over the Dedup option, I know it wont re-invent the wheel and free up most of the drive but, it could help.

As we are currently running backups to "disk" now, under the directions for Dedup, it says it needs a dedicated volume. Can we just add dedup and let it start for backups going forward ?

The question is, once I add Dedup, do I need a completely new drive for it, or can I just add on and it would work going forward ?

This part is not 100% clear.

2 REPLIES 2

Gurvinder
Employee Accredited Certified

As a temporary workaround you should be able to create a Dedupe folder on the root of the B2D volume Drive. Since dedupe is recommended to have its own volume I would suggest that you can then start duplicating backup sets which are on B2D to Dedupe and then get rid of those Backup Sets from B2D (when they have been duplicated)

Once you have duplicated all sets you can delete the B2D and use dedupe as your primary storage.

pkh
   VIP    Certified
If you are already running out of space on that volume, you would be compounding your problem if your ad a dedup folder to it. A dedup folder has overheads so there will not be much space savings in the beginning