cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec 2014 Disk Storage - Local Disk sub folders

Erin1998
Level 3

I just upgraded from BE 2010 to BE 2014.  What a change!

I have 48TB of storage on two NAS devices so F: and G:.

F: contains 4 folders - BE Backups, SP Backups, Repository, Software

I want to create a storage device that paths as F:\BE Backups\ServerName, but unlike in 2010 the local disk selection doesn't offer the ability to select sub-folders, just the root f:\.

So, I created a share on the BE Backups folder and tried that, but it gives me a local path has been specificed error.

So what are my options.  I want to create two or three devices that point to folders under the BE Backups folder.

I wouldn't think that Symantec would have taken away this 2010 option without a reason, so what I am I missing in my reasoning for wanting to set up multiple storage devices for the 3 different jobs I will have running each night?  I tried running all of my servers under 1 job over the weekend and it ran into Monday, which won't work, so I need multiple jobs going.

Thanks in advance.

9 REPLIES 9

pkh
   VIP    Certified
You can target all your jobs to one disk storage. To run multiple jobs concurrently, just increase the number of concurrent jobs in the disk storage property

Erin1998
Level 3

Thanks.

Won't that just be a mess of .bkf files though.  After I back up to disk, I then need to back up some of the BTD jobs to tape. I was hoping to break them out by job/folder so I could then run the appropriate BTT jobs.

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

If you are doing duplicate jobs to tape it won't matter what the BKF files are called or where they are stored as this is done by backup set.

If you are moving the actual BKF files to tape as a file system backup and not a duplicate backup then this is bad practice and NOT recommended as it can introduce complexity and problems during the restore process http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH176061

pkh
   VIP    Certified
NEVER copy/backup your disk backup sets like ordinary files. You should always duplicate backup sets. See this document http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH176061

Erin1998
Level 3

Thanks.  I hadn't gotten that far with the details of setting up the BTD and the BTT scenario.

It still doesn't make sense though why I can't select a folder on the drive unless Symantec is telling me that the NAS storage should now not be used for anything else other than backups.  If so, that's frustrating.  For years BE 2010 has worked perfectly as a combo BTD site and a file storage repository for.  The only reason I upgraded was because I want to run Server 2012 R2.

pkh
   VIP    Certified
You can put both your disk storage and other files on your NAS. There is no requirement to have only the disk stage on the NAS. Putting your disk backup sets in different disk storage does not increase the efficiency of your backup operation. In fact, it is worse. You cannot consolidate your jobs because you can only target one disk storage per job

dss_thinktank
Level 4

It ispossible to use network share in oder to create separate directories for disk based backups. It may be that this approach is not according to BE suggestions so it is up to you to deside if it is worth while testing. See this thread: https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/backup-exec-2014-backup-disk-changes-2010

Andrew_Wiggin
Level 3

Now you tell me... I've been moving these around to consolidate my legacy backup to disk folders from 2010 on to a single legacy folder.

So, now that I have moved my .bkfs to one drive, should I avoid cataloging them unless I need to?

Andrew_Wiggin
Level 3

Next you are going to tell me that I shouldn't delete all of my 2kb .bkf files... Should I? What about pre-populating the destination folder with blank .bkf files that are imported as scratch media?