cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec 2014 - Enterprise Server Option

pmevalenzuela
Level 5

Hi.

I got 3x Backup Exec 2014 servers with Agents and options installed.

Question.

1. If I buy the ESO, do I need to purchase additional BE 2014 media server license? Does the ESO require a dedicated server or can I use any of my existing Backup Exec 2014 servers?

2. Can all my three existing BE 2014 media servers use the Advance Disk Option, If I just purchased one ESO license?

3. Can CAS server also execute backups itself?

4. Can ESO for 2014 manage Backup Exec 2012 servers?

Thanks,

Paul

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi,

1. You can use an existing server if you want, or dedicate a server to it. With 3 media servers (including the CASO server) it's probably better just to use 1 of the existing servers, unless you have a VM environment somewhere that you can load an extra installation of BE on with the ESO license.

2. Not sure, but I don't think you can apply this to an MMS, and it might require an ADBO license too. Read the TN below:

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/sites/default/files/Backup%20Exec%202014%20Enterprise%20Serv...

3. Yes it can. It is a normal BE server.

4. Yes, for the purpose of rolling upgrades. I wouldn't use this for any length of time. I have done this myself and it does work, but you may, or may not, get some connectivity issues between the MMS and CASO servers.

Thanks!

View solution in original post

pkh
   VIP    Certified
ADBO is always on a per server basis. If the server is not licensed for ADBO then you cannot use it

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13

CraigV

Hi,

1. You can use an existing server if you want, or dedicate a server to it. With 3 media servers (including the CASO server) it's probably better just to use 1 of the existing servers, unless you have a VM environment somewhere that you can load an extra installation of BE on with the ESO license.

2. Not sure, but I don't think you can apply this to an MMS, and it might require an ADBO license too. Read the TN below:

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/sites/default/files/Backup%20Exec%202014%20Enterprise%20Serv...

3. Yes it can. It is a normal BE server.

4. Yes, for the purpose of rolling upgrades. I wouldn't use this for any length of time. I have done this myself and it does work, but you may, or may not, get some connectivity issues between the MMS and CASO servers.

Thanks!

pmevalenzuela
Level 5

Hi.

Thanks for the reply.

what do you mean by MMS ?

CraigV

Managed Media Server

pkh
   VIP    Certified
ADBO is always on a per server basis. If the server is not licensed for ADBO then you cannot use it

pmevalenzuela
Level 5

Hi. pkh,

Iv'e checked the available options, only ESO comes with ABDO. It says you can only have 1x ESO per backup environment.

Questions

1. How to license my Managed Backup Exec Media Server (in my scenario I have 3) with ABDO ?

2. Even if I don't  use CASO can I still use ABDO on my unmanaged BE 2014 media server?

Thanks,

Paul

pkh
   VIP    Certified

ESO is a licence bundle.  It comprises a couple of options.  After you install the ESO licence, you can choose which option to enable, including CASO and ABDO.  As such, you can use ADBO on a normal media server.

I hope that you are very clear on what you can and cannot do with ABDO. Do read the ADBO chapter carefully.

pmevalenzuela
Level 5

hi. pkh,

thanks for thre reply.

Additional Questions:

1. We are only after the ABDO. Correct me if I am wrong but ABDO can only be acquired via ESO.

2. Does ESO include backup exec media server license ? If yes , how many media servers are I am entitled to?

3. Can you do synthetic backups on Hyper-V VMs? This VMs are just file repositories.

4. Can we deploy Backup Exec 2014 on Hyper-V VM ? Any implications?

Thanks,

Paul

pkh
   VIP    Certified
1. Yes 2. No 3. No. Not if you are backing it as a VM. If you back it up as a physical machine then yes and only for files and a couple of other things. Check the Admin Guide 4. Using a virtualized media server is never recommended because there are a lot of configurations which are not supported. For example, accessing a tape drive

pmevalenzuela
Level 5

Last Question:

Since ESO is a per licensed backup environment

Can I use a single ESO license to enable ADBO to multiple BE 2014 media server? How to license multiple BE 2014 media servers with ADBO ?

CraigV

pkh
   VIP    Certified
You got to check this with the Symantec Licencing department. The Licencing guide is not clear on this point. It says that you need just one ESO license per managed backup environment which is o.k. for defining a CAS because it is one server, but it does not say what happens when you want ADBO on every server in the environment

pmevalenzuela
Level 5

Thanks pkh, I got a reply from Distributor: ADBO is licensed per Server. not the entire environment.

By the way, so you mean I can't do Synthetic Full Backups if my backups are VM based?

When you mean to backup like a physical server, you mean to backup the VM as the same method in backuping  a physical server in order to a Synthetic Full ?

pkh
   VIP    Certified
Just as I suspected. ADBO is per server which means that you have to buy an ESO license for each server. If you are going to implement CASO, then you only need one ESO license. Yes. In order to do synthetic backups, you need to treat the VM as if it is a physical machine. This means that you should closely examine the advantage of having synthetic backups vs. the inability to back it up as a VM, lost of easy recovery and the additional ESO license