cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec 2014 - Exchange 2007 Backup/Restore: Content Missing

mr_mdoyle
Level 3

Morning All.

Posted this initially witihin the Appliance section however I feel it more likely to be a BE2014 setting which the cause of the issue rather than the fact that its running on an appliance.

Just to give some background to the problem

• Previous Environment - HP Proliant Server with Backup Exec 2012.
  • New Environment - Backup Exec Appliance 2600 with Backup Exec 2014 (fully patched).
  • Exchange Environment - MS Exchange 2007 SP3.

A request has come in to restore some emails from a historical backup (from March 2014) and I have identified the tape which has the relevant data on it however when I have cataloged it on the new appliance a ton of emails are missing from users mailboxes (in some instances there are no emails from the whole of 2012 and 2013 appearing within the restore options).

I have inserted the same media into the BE2012 environment which is still in place and can confirm that all the emails are visible and avaliable for restore within Backup Exec 2012 however due to the fact that I have upgraded the agent on the Exchange Server to the necessary BE2014 agent I am unable to restore to the users mailbox.  I have approx 35 users requiring restores from this period so would rather not go down the PST restore route.

Has anybody got any ideas as to why my new BE2014 server is not displaying all the messages I would expect to be avaliable?

I should stress that some mailboxes have the messages avaliable for restore - it is only some which are not appearing with their full content avaliable.

I should also mention that the mailboxes I am attempting to restore from have an unusually high numbers of emails within the Inbox folder.

Are there any limitations on the number of items viewable when attempting to do a restore through BE2014?

Thanks,

Mark

5 REPLIES 5

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

Apart from the obvious question as to whether the tape was an incremental backup of Exchange or a full (if incremental than you wil need to get the chain of tapes back to and including the full) , I think you may have to log a formal support case for this

mr_mdoyle
Level 3

Issue was never resolved.

I resorted to using BE2012 as a solution until we build our new Exchange Environment.

Symantec Tech Support were looking into the issue as of December 19th 2014.

VJware
Level 6

You are possibly facing this issue -

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH214886

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH211846

mr_mdoyle
Level 3

Yes this was identified as a possible solution however unfortunately it wasn’t an appropriate resolution to the issues I was facing as it would make it impossible to restore emails to their original location.

The decision was then taken to simply roll back to our previous environment (BE2012) and carry out the necessary restores from here with the view of moving across to the new appliances once our new exchange environment goes live.

VJware
Level 6

Would recommend to apply the HF which has been released today ~ http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH227745