cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec 2014 HOTFIX 218257

bwilliam
Level 3

After application of this hotfix through LiveUpdate, any/all incremental backup jobs of virtual machines acting as active directory domain controllers always end with exceptions with a resulting:  

"V-79-57344-38747 - Backup Exec was unable to prepare Microsoft Active Directory resources for Granular Recovery Technology (GRT) operations.  Therefore you will be unable to perform GRT-enabled restores of Microsoft Active Directory data from this backup."

If I run a full backup, no issues.  As soon as an incremental runs, this happens 100% of the time.  If I uncheck Active Directory GRT, no issues...both full and incrementals will run without issue, no exceptions or failures.

I know without a doubt it is because of this hotfix, as I have taken a completely clean lab environment and installed base Backup Exec 2014, and running a GRT AD full and incremental backup completes 100% of the time.  As soon as hotfix 218257 is installed, all the incrementals complete, but now with the above exception, every time they are run.

I have had a ticket with Symantec open for 3+ weeks now, we no engineer calling me back.  So at this point, I'm a bit fed up with Symantec's support and am hoping someone else is seeing this and has been able to solve it.  If push comes to shove I will just revert to doing straight VM backups with dedupe, and if AD gets messed up, I will just restore to last full + incrementals.

Our Backup Exec server is:

Windows 2008 R2 Standard
32 GB of RAM
24 TB SAN
Backup Exec 2014 V-Ray Edition, hotfix 218257 installed

Our VM technology is:

VMware vSphere 5.1 accessed via vCenter, update 2

20 REPLIES 20

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

...i have hit the support flag for you.

An alternative is to send a PM to VJware or Colin Weaver and ask them for assistance.

Thanks!

bwilliam
Level 3

Forgive my ignorance, but how are they going to help me?  I have a Severity 2 ticket open with support already, and multiple engineers now will not call me back within a wide time-frame of availability of me or my engineers.  It's pretty frustrating.

lmosla
Level 6

Hello bwilliam,

PM me your support case number and I will look into this.

bwilliam
Level 3

Done.

Securiteam
Not applicable
Partner

Hi bwilliam,

I have the same issue here with differential backup since the hotfix.

I checked some differential backup and it seems that I can restore a single file or AD object.

I also checked the debug monitor and see an entry : ADGran: Status SUCCESS

Maybe it's only a bug that call an exception where there is no problem and GRT is correctly done.

However, if you could report here what support tells you, it will be nice :)

Julien

sley
Level 2

Has there been any developments with this issue?

I'm having the same problem with the following setup:

Backup Exec 2014, hotfix 218257 installed (all updates applied at time of post)

Windows 2008 R2 Standard SP1 (with all updates) w/8GB RAM running bare metal on Dell R510.

VMWare Backup, SAN Transport, via VCenter Virtual Appliance 5.5 (Cluster of ESXi 5.5U1 1623589-Rollup Hosts running on Dell R710's)

Occurs only on Incremental (not tried differential, but full works fine) with any AD controllers backed up using GRT (Applications & Databases). AD Controllers are running Windows 2008 R2 Enterprise SP1 with updates applied. AD Controllers have VMWare Tools, then Backup Exec Agent installed in that order, with no VSS issues, and are also running Symantec Endpoint Protection 12.1.

steves_2
Level 4

I have the same problem as well.

BE 2014 V-RAY with HF-218257 running on windows server 2012r2 is unable to backup my 2012r2  VM domain controllers running on 2012r2 hyper-v hosts.Agent is pushed out to both host and vm's.

The dont seem to be in a hurry to fix this.

V-79-57344-38747 - Backup Exec was unable to prepare Microsoft Active Directory resources for Granular Recovery Technology (GRT) operations.  Therefore you will be unable to perform GRT-enabled restores of Microsoft Active Directory data from this backup.

Steve

mgmasterv2
Level 6
Partner Accredited

me too.

BE 2014 Running on Windows Server 2012 R2 backing up Windows Server 2012 R2 Domain Controlller (ESXi 5.5 u1 VM)

bwilliam
Level 3

I got my ticket escalated 2 weeks ago, after having the ticket open for 3+ weeks prior to that, and thus far there is no solution.

What gets me is that this is obviously a regression introduced with that hotfix.  And why Symantec doesn't allow rolling back from their hotfixes is also beyond me.  Based on the track record the last few years with the 2012 product and now 2014, I'm unclear why they didn't at least provide a way to roll back to a previous patch level.  That would have at least provided a workaround situation.

At this point, to back up any AD servers, I essentially have to have two job types:  the normal GRT file-enabled backup of the VM, and then another classic agent-based backup that includes the System State.  All together 4 jobs for one VM.

While I am stuck with this product for now, we are still actively looking for an alternative once our new budget year is here.

This used to be a great product.  Not sure when Symantec lost their way and never found the path back, but at this point I'm weary of waiting for that to happen.  I thought when 2014 was released (and worked on day 1) that it was a positive change.  It took exactly 1 hotfix to completely ruin/reverse my thinking along those lines.  Overall, it's sad.

mgmasterv2
Level 6
Partner Accredited

i think BE 2014 is a good product , atleast somehow its getting the job done,

AlexRoom
Level 3

I've got same error.

If i do reboot AD VM, first time GRT backup pass with no error. But next backups full or increment finish with error V-79-57344-38747.

Windows 2012R2 Hyper--V, AD 2012R2.

bwilliam
Level 3

To date, still no fix for the issue.  It was thoroughly troubleshot and identified, and my ticket was escalated, but I have not heard from anyone at Symantec on the issue in a couple weeks, granted I was on vacation one of those weeks.  I sent an email asking for an update yesterday, but have heard nothing yet.

digone52
Level 3

Hi.

I have the same issue. Backup Exec running on Windows Server 2008R2, backing up a VMWare 5.1 U3 installation.

After 1st reboot, GRT AD backup is fine. Afterwards, same problem.

I'd be interested if there is any news on this probem.

pwv
Level 3

I'm having the same issue and have opened a case with Symantec Support per the support arcticle TECH217612 (http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH217612&actp=search&viewlocale=en_US&searchid=1411572539954).

We'll see what happens.

bwilliam
Level 3

Just so everyone is aware, there is a new service pack out for Backup Exec 2014, as of 9-22-2014.  It is NOT available via LiveUpdate yet.  In the release notes, it covers the exact problem we are experiencing, and is indicating that it is fixed.  I am downloading the it now, but as my ticket is still open, I am also emailing the engineer assigned as asking if this problem has indeed been addressed in the service pack.

If I get brave and attempt to install it, I will report back to let everyone know if it fixes the problem (or causes others).

pwv
Level 3

I don't see this listed in the release notes for SP1.  Am I missing something?

Steve-Young
Level 6
Employee

Backup Exec 2014 revision 1786 Service Pack 1                                                     www.symantec.com/docs/TECH216178

Backup Exec 2014 revision 1786 Service Pack 1 Release notes                                       www.symantec.com/docs/TECH222618

pwv
Level 3

I reviewed the release notes and did not see this issue as one that is addressed in SP1.  Can you point out where you see this in the release notes?

I worked with Symantec Support on this issue and they stated that the issue is not fixed in SP1, but it is a known issue and they are working to address it as it effects many customers.  As a workaround they suggest using an agent based backup of the host instead of backing up the VM through vCenter.

bwilliam
Level 3

You're right.  We actually have 2-3 tickets open with them right now, and one of the issues is indeed fixed, but the specific subject of this thread is not.  So, the wait continues.

We are still doing the VMware backup, but only have GRT enabled for files, and we're doing an agent-based backup of the same VM, but only grabbing the active directory stuff from the VM in question.