cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec 2014 HOTFIX 218257

bwilliam
Level 3

After application of this hotfix through LiveUpdate, any/all incremental backup jobs of virtual machines acting as active directory domain controllers always end with exceptions with a resulting:  

"V-79-57344-38747 - Backup Exec was unable to prepare Microsoft Active Directory resources for Granular Recovery Technology (GRT) operations.  Therefore you will be unable to perform GRT-enabled restores of Microsoft Active Directory data from this backup."

If I run a full backup, no issues.  As soon as an incremental runs, this happens 100% of the time.  If I uncheck Active Directory GRT, no issues...both full and incrementals will run without issue, no exceptions or failures.

I know without a doubt it is because of this hotfix, as I have taken a completely clean lab environment and installed base Backup Exec 2014, and running a GRT AD full and incremental backup completes 100% of the time.  As soon as hotfix 218257 is installed, all the incrementals complete, but now with the above exception, every time they are run.

I have had a ticket with Symantec open for 3+ weeks now, we no engineer calling me back.  So at this point, I'm a bit fed up with Symantec's support and am hoping someone else is seeing this and has been able to solve it.  If push comes to shove I will just revert to doing straight VM backups with dedupe, and if AD gets messed up, I will just restore to last full + incrementals.

Our Backup Exec server is:

Windows 2008 R2 Standard
32 GB of RAM
24 TB SAN
Backup Exec 2014 V-Ray Edition, hotfix 218257 installed

Our VM technology is:

VMware vSphere 5.1 accessed via vCenter, update 2

20 REPLIES 20

bwilliam
Level 3

Hotfix 225092 is out, which is supposed to fix this issue.  I have installed it into one of our environments, and thus far a full GRT backup of an AD server completely successfully.  An incremental completed successfully as well, so I'm going to keep watching this but assume this hotfix did definitively fix the issue.