4 x Overnight jobs

10 tapes (2 weeks rotation)

Each job configured with the following options:

When this job begins:
Append to media, overwrite if no appendable media is available

Media Set configured as:
Overwrite Protection Period: 3 days
Append Period: None "Infinite - Allow append"

All the jobs will fit on one tape, if the full capacity is used.

What I am finding is that the first job succeeds, but then the second job runs out of space half way through and the tape is ejected.  This is of course messing up the backup routine.  

I think that the first job appends to the tape and then stamps the overwrite protection period so that the second job can only use the remainder of the end of the tape..  This then results in the tape becoming full.  

How should I configure my setup so that each day the tape is treated as 'blank' allowing all 4 overnight jobs to run and the whole tape can be used?

If I set my first job to "When this job begins: Overwrite media" will this use the beginning of the tape effectively freeing up the rest of the tape to be used by the other 3 jobs?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

AmolB
Employee Accredited Certified

With the current Ovewrite and Append period setting you should configure your 1st backup job to 

overwrite and other 3 jobs to append to the media.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

AmolB
Employee Accredited Certified

With the current Ovewrite and Append period setting you should configure your 1st backup job to 

overwrite and other 3 jobs to append to the media.

LegAEI
Level 5

Another alternative (less granular control) is to create a single job with multiple server sources and set it to overwrite.