cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec 2014 - How do you install the Agent for Hyper-V on a Hyper-V Host?

today
Level 4

On page 863 of the BE 2014 admin manual PDF, the "Requirements for using the Agent for Microsoft Hyper-V" are listed.  One of the requirements is that this Hyper-V agent be installed on each Hyper-V host.  However, I don't see a way to do that.  I can't find it on the ISO and I can't see how to do it using push.  I have backups running on a couple Hyper-V hosts and they only have the RAWS client installed on these hosts.

Is this just old information from a previous version?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

pkh
   VIP    Certified
Agent for Hyper-V refers to the capability to backup Hyper-V VM's. This capability is built into every remote agent which you push out to remote servers. There is no specific Agent for Hyper-V. To activate the Hyper-V agent capability, you need to install the necessary Hyper-V licenses on the media server. What the Admin Guide I'd trying to say is 1. Install 1 Hyper-V agent license for each Hyper-V host on the media server. 2. Push out the remote agent to the Hyper-V host. You can then backup the VM's on this Hyper-V host as VM's

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

AmolB
Employee Accredited Certified

As per the requirement you need to install RAWS on the Hyper V server and Agent for Hyper V

license on the Backup Exec media server. Refer to the below article.

http://www.symantec.com/docs/HOWTO23070

EDIT: Also read About installing the Agent for Microsoft Hyper-V on Pg#864 of Admin guide

SuperBrain
Employee Accredited

Here's a technote which contains Methods for Installing the Agent for Windows (AWS)

pkh
   VIP    Certified
Agent for Hyper-V refers to the capability to backup Hyper-V VM's. This capability is built into every remote agent which you push out to remote servers. There is no specific Agent for Hyper-V. To activate the Hyper-V agent capability, you need to install the necessary Hyper-V licenses on the media server. What the Admin Guide I'd trying to say is 1. Install 1 Hyper-V agent license for each Hyper-V host on the media server. 2. Push out the remote agent to the Hyper-V host. You can then backup the VM's on this Hyper-V host as VM's

today
Level 4

Thank you for your reply.  That's what I figured, but I'm having problems with my incremental Hyper-V backups, so I needed to request clarity on the issue.

My confusion came from the online technotes and the admin guide, which both heavily imply that there is a separate piece of software called "Hyper-V Agent" that needs to be installed.  Good to know that is not the case and my problem lies elsewhere.

pkh
   VIP    Certified

Over the years, this has always been the source of confusion and has caused many a users to look for a physical agent when it is the capability of the agent that is being referred to.