cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec 2014 - Hyper-V Integration Services mismatch

Flair4IT
Level 3

Hi There,

Running Backup Exec 2014 on a Windows Server 2008 R2 Datacenter media server that also functions as our Hyper-V Host.

Using the V-Ray license.

When backing up virtual machines via the Hyper-V plugin, 2 of our virtual machines fail with error: 

V-79-40960-38467 - Virtual machine "<servername>" has been excluded from the backup because it must be put in a saved state to back up

Then a message saying:

V-79-40960-38524 - The Hyper-V subsystem has reported that the Hyper-V Integration Services (HIS) inside the virtual machine do not match the version expected by the Hyper-V host.  This may lead to offline backups, update the Hyper-V Integration Services to ensure online backups can be performed whenever possible.

Now this is because the virtual machines in question are running Windows Server 2012. So, the version of the HIS on the 2012 server is actually newer than the one included with 2008 R2. I cannot install the 2008 R2 version of the HIS because if you try it says that the version installed is newer.

I've spoken with our Microsoft partner technical advisory team and they have confirmed that there is no issues with this configuration as the HIS are always fully backwards compatible, so it looks like Backup Exec is throwing up an uneeded exception.

Makes sense to check if the version of the HIS on a VM is too OLD, but not if it's newer that the host.

How do I get round this error? Symantec support initially said it was not their problem, it was Microsoft's. Microsoft have said it's not their problem, it's Symantec's.

Many Thanks,

Sam

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Flair4IT
Level 3

I found this tech article and am testing it now.

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH209419

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

What are the OSes of the affected VMs ? Were these VMs migrated from another Hyper-V host ?

And are the Hyper-V services inside the VM all running ?

Flair4IT
Level 3

OSes of VMs are Windows Server 2012 Datacenter (not R2)

The Hyper-V Integration Services are confirmed as running inside the VMs.

They were not migrated from another host. We did recently upgrade Backup Exec from 2010 R3. Prior to that we simply didn't backup those VMs because Backup Exec 2010 didn't have support for Windows Server 2012.

Cheers,

Sam

Flair4IT
Level 3

VHD (VHDX isn't supported in Windows Server 2008 R2 remember which is the host!)

No DeDupe, no ReFS.

VJware
Level 6

And are these VMs using VHDX or VHD disks ?

Edit:

Any DeDupe or ReFS volumes on these VMs as well ?

VJware
Level 6

Thanks for clearing this up. I assumed the host was running Windows Server 2012.

Alright, so if your Hyper-V host is running Windows 2008 R2 and if the VM is running Windows Server 2012, I believe you should be running the HIC same version as that of the host.

Have a look @ these KBs as well -

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee207413%28v=ws.10%29.aspx

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc794868%28v=ws.10%29.aspx

Flair4IT
Level 3

Nope, that first article was written before the release of Windows Server 2012 as so does not mention it.

The second article mentions that Windows Server 2012 is supported, but does not make mention of the Integration Services versions.

It is not possible to install the Server 2008 R2 HIS components on a Windows Server 2012 guest server because they already have a newer version of the tools installed as standard. If you try and install them, it fails saying that the installed compenents are newer that the ones you are trying to install.

I have spoken to our Microsoft Partner advisory team and confirmed this is the case

Flair4IT
Level 3

I've just been chatting with a Symantec tech support guy on the phone and he's under the impression that the error message about mismatched HIS is something that's being reported by Microsoft's Hyper-V API, rather than Backup Exec, which seems odd to me and contrary to what Microsoft are indicating.

Sam

Flair4IT
Level 3

I found this tech article and am testing it now.

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH209419

Flair4IT
Level 3

That tech article fixed the problem