cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec 2014 - Ignore Exception

GROBSON
Level 4

Hi All,

I am in a situation currently in which I will ALWAYS receive a success with exception (unless it fails of course). The exception I am receiving is below:

V-79-40960-38519 - The virtual machine was backed up, but the data that resides on pass-through disks that are associated with this virtual machine was not backed up. Use the Backup Exec Agent for Windows on the virtual machine for backup and restore operations of the volumes that reside on the pass-through disks

I am fine with this, and have scheduled the seperate job that is required to cover the pass through disk. That job is passing every day.

I now would like to ignore this particular exception so my jobs are marked as succesful.

I am pre-empting lots of people saying "but what is the point it was successful anyway". My counter to this is that when it passes with exceptions, I need to check the status every day to ensure the exception WAS actually this one and not another which could cause issues. 

We are a company with over 100 clients with backups to check...having to do this every day will be a massive time consumption.

Can anybody advise please?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

pkh
   VIP    Certified
There is no way to avoid the exception in your job if you backup this machine as a VM. You should exclude this machine from your VM backup job and back this machine up as of it is a physical machine. Your hypervisor agent license entitles you to load AWS/RALUS on any number of VM's hosted on the licensed host

View solution in original post

15 REPLIES 15

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Is the Remote agent installed inside these VMs ?

Have a look @ this KB - http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH216403

GROBSON
Level 4

Yes the agent is installed. I have a separate backup job running after the full VM backup that covers the passthrough disk, and to have this work requires the agent.

Laurie_Downey
Level 6
Employee

GROSBON,

You could try the following backup strategy:

Back the VM up once a week as a Full, and then the rest of the week as a Physical machine.

This will get the Virtual disks backed up and then the rest of the server can be protected via RAWs. You will still receive the exception once a week, when the full VM runs.

GROBSON
Level 4

So are you refering to:

Friday -> Full Hyper-V backup selected from the hosts selection list

Monday - Thursday -> Incrimental by selecting the Virtual Machine as a physical machine.

My 2 questions are:

1. Will this work? I mean using the Hyper-V as the full, but physical as the incrimentals?We dont have enough time / storage space to have 2 fulls a week (The full backup currently runs over an entire weekend as there is roughly 6TB of data).
  2. Will my Agent for Hyper-V license cover backing up the machine as a physical unit? I was under the impression that this only covers backing up the HyperV as a selected item from within the host?

Laurie_Downey
Level 6
Employee

Let me clarify:

You would need to run 2 separate jobs.

One full job for the Hyper-V backup ran once a week and a second job for the RAWS backup the remaining days.

The Hyper-V license covers backing it up as a physical machine, as it licenses ALL guests on that host for agents. However, it would not cover any extra licensing, for example the Application and Database license

GROBSON
Level 4

Ok I think I understand. 

If I understand correctly though it would require having 2 full backups per week, which we would not have enough storage space (full backup is 6TB).

The backup also takes 48 hours to complete so we would not have enough time to fit a second full backup in during the week as we cant run backups during the day due to speed impacts.

Surely there is a way in Backup exec similar to the "auto respond to alerts" that simply says ignore all V-xxxxxx-xxxxxx exceptions?

Laurie_Downey
Level 6
Employee

GROBSON,

There is absolutely a way to automatically respond to alerts. Please refer to the following tech documents for the steps to configure alert categories.

Alert Categories: http://www.symantec.com/docs/HOWTO98989  

Responding to Alerts: http://www.symantec.com/docs/HOWTO98994

GROBSON
Level 4

It isnt an alert I am trying to respond to...it is a success exception. I was simply wanting a similar feature to the alerts.

Laurie_Downey
Level 6
Employee

GROBSON,

Hmmmm, understood and I am looking into this for you now. I will let you know what I find out shortly.

pkh
   VIP    Certified
There is no way to avoid the exception in your job if you backup this machine as a VM. You should exclude this machine from your VM backup job and back this machine up as of it is a physical machine. Your hypervisor agent license entitles you to load AWS/RALUS on any number of VM's hosted on the licensed host

Laurie_Downey
Level 6
Employee

PKH is right in saying there is no way to avoid the exception and I have confirmed this with our Engineering Support Team. You best bet would be what I already recommended to you, earlier in the thread:

“Back the VM up once a week as a Full, and then the rest of the week as a Physical machine.

This will get the Virtual disks backed up and then the rest of the server can be protected via RAWs. You will still receive the exception once a week, when the full VM runs.”

You would still need to run two separate jobs, but the exception would been seen once a week instead of daily. Let me know if this helps.

maurijo
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Well he said that he can not run two fulls because he does not have the storage required for it. Then I would do as pkh said, back it up as a physical machines. That would give you proper succes status.

GROBSON
Level 4

Thanks,

Although It is a bit rubbish that there isnt the facility to do this, I accept this as a solution and have recreated the entire job as a physical machine instead.

Maybe this is something Symantec should examine for future versions.

Simon_Lovatt
Level 3

Hi Laurie

I have just come across this bug/issue myself and was wondering if it is going to addressed in a future hotfix or Service Pack for BE2014

Simon

>> You should exclude this machine

That seems like an extreme solution just to avoid the warning. Backing up the Hypervisor along with its clients and to the exclusion of the pass-through disks is a legitimate technique advocated by Veritas Support.

Perhaps the job could be configured with an option to suppress the warning. If such options are non-existent, then perhaps they could be provided in the future.