cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec 2014 License to Backup over SAN

TNO
Level 3

Hi, 

I have license to backup mail Exchange server bellow. I have 4 mailbox Server in DAG Exchange, and I have 2 question

- Can I backup 4 mailbox Servers with 2 license Agent for Application and Datastore?

- Can I backup Mailbox over SAN (I mean backup over SAN)? If yes, could you please refer document to configure Backup Exec over SAN. If no, which license must I purchare to Backup over SAN?

Thanks and Regards,

bkexec_license.jpg

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

If the DAG members are VMs, then you won't be able to use BE's VMware agent since this agent does not support GRT for virtualized DAGs. You'll have to backup the DAG members as if they are physical machines and hence, you would require 4 Agent for Application and Database licenses.

Also, if backing up the DAG members as physical machines, then VMware's SAN Transport mode will not be applicable. Only options would be either an off-host backup (if you have the proper hardware) or use a secondary network.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

VJware
Level 6

1) You would need an Application & Database license for every server (node) part of the DAG. So if the DAG has 4 nodes, then 4 licenses.

2) Have a look @ this article for SAN-based backups - https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/blogs/lan-free-including-san-backup-configurations-backup-exec

TNO
Level 3

1) So, I need more 2 Application & Database license to backup Mailbox in my invironment?

2) Truthly, 4 MailBox is 4 Virtual machine in Vmware vsphere environment. So if I want to backup over san I must need more 1 license BE Virtual Agent License?

Thanks and regards,

VJware
Level 6

If the DAG members are VMs, then you won't be able to use BE's VMware agent since this agent does not support GRT for virtualized DAGs. You'll have to backup the DAG members as if they are physical machines and hence, you would require 4 Agent for Application and Database licenses.

Also, if backing up the DAG members as physical machines, then VMware's SAN Transport mode will not be applicable. Only options would be either an off-host backup (if you have the proper hardware) or use a secondary network.

TNO
Level 3

Thanks VJware,