cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec 2014 Linux Agent issues

GMF
Level 3

Hi,

I use Backup Exec 2014 Linux Agent (VRTSralus) on a CentOS 7 Linux system.

I have 2 issues which need to be solved:

1) The job i've setted up to backup the Linux machine ends up with some exceptions.

The exceptions are related to files being skipped because the service wasn't unable to open them.

Following some logs from the job result

Unable to open the item \\192.168.1.1\[ROOT]/var/lib/mysql/ibdata1 - skipped.

Unable to open the item \\192.168.1.1\[ROOT]/var/lib/mysql/ib_logfile0 - skipped.

Unable to open the item \\192.168.1.1\[ROOT]/var/lib/mysql/ib_logfile1 - skipped.

There are also other exceptions in the job log related to files with extension *.ibd. with the same error, skipped.

To avoid this i tried to set up the VRTSralus agent to disable OFO modifying the following entry in the config file /etc/VRTSralus/ralus.cfg without any luck 

Software\Symantec\Backup Exec For Windows\Backup Exec\Engine\RALUS\DisableOFO=1

What to do to avoid these files from being skipped by the backup job?

2) The log file /var/VRTSralus/beremote.service.log is always empty

How to enable logging on the log file?

The Backup Exec Remote Agent is being started with the init script /etc/init.d/VRTSralus.init but no log is being write on the log file.

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.

10 REPLIES 10

AmolB
Employee Accredited Certified

Backup Exec 2014 does not support CentOS.

Refer to BE2014 SCL http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH217478

GMF
Level 3

CentOS 7 is very close to being RHEL 7 (Red Hat Enterprise Linux 7) without the branding and support.

In particular, the library versions are the same, so binaries that work on one will work on the other. The administration tools are the same and configured in the same ways.

So we could talk like i'm running on a RHEL 7 which appear in the compatibility list.

pkh
   VIP    Certified
There is no version of BE which support CentOS, including BE 2014

GMF
Level 3

As I just said, CentOS is basically the same as Red Hat Enterprise Linux which appear in the compatibility list.

Consider my request related to Red Hat Enterprise Linux.

VJware
Level 6

Even an actual RHEL 7.0 does not support backup of open files by the RALUS agent. These exceptions are expected if the file is locked as the Advance Open File technology is not supported and hence the reigstry key DisableOFO isn't applicable either.

GMF
Level 3

Ok, so I believe the actual solution could be to run a script to backup the database to a file with the Mysql backup tools, let the agent backup that file and exclude the directory that cause the exception from the backup job.

Any idea why the log is still empty?

Thanks 

VJware
Level 6

I currently dont have access to a system, but i believe the debugging is enabled by default and the logging is captured in these ways -

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH35477

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH56024

pkh
   VIP    Certified
Are you going to look at the logs if he post them? Is CentOS now supported?

GMF
Level 3

I expected that VRTSralus agent logs something even if the debug options are disabled on the ralus.cfg

Following some relevant configuration entry in my ralus.cfg

Software\Symantec\Backup Exec For Windows\Backup Exec\Debug\AgentConfig=0
Software\Symantec\Backup Exec For Windows\Backup Exec\Debug\VXBSAlevel=
Software\Symantec\Backup Exec For Windows\Backup Exec\Engine\Logging\Log File Root=BEX
Software\Symantec\Backup Exec For Windows\Backup Exec\Engine\Logging\RANT NDMP Debug Level=0

If you can confirm that the agent is not going to log anything if i don't enable the debug options in /etc/VRTSralus/ralus.cfg then i'm ok.

Thank you

VJware
Level 6

Yeah, if the debug options aren't enabled, then the agent doesn't capture anything.