cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec 2014 - Restore data from tape

Aladyreg
Level 3

I am trying to find a way, how to extract data from restored Shadow Copy Components tape in Backup Exec 2014.

I have daily about 10 tasks appliance_dedupe and one task storages it all to tape every day. I have setup one month task to create month tapes in case of any. I am trying to restore all data from tape to disk. I have read that I have to restore Shadow Copy Components to disk at first. I done, it is on the disk, but I want to ,,restore,, from it data - now there are a lot of files with .bin suffixes.

Data on disk are only 1 month so if I need restore any file from year back, I got only shadow copy components.

I have fetched whole manual and a lot of forums, but did not found any help.

Thank you for your help, Robert

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

A duplicate job is a stage you add to a standard job  definition so that it can be regularly scheduled (or run directly after the initial job.) Edit your backup job definition to understand where to add a stage.

ALso I think if you open up your storage details and look at the backup sets you might be able to select a backup set and duplicate it from there as well (as a one off duplicate)

View solution in original post

18 REPLIES 18

pkh
   VIP    Certified
Give some examples of the files that you want to restore

Aladyreg
Level 3

There are many examples - question was in general. In Shadow Backup Copy there are backuped about 10 servers and the size is 1,32TB. If you want an example, I want to restore file named Mapping, which was in server ABCD and stored 1 year back. I have restored Shadow Backup Copy to local disk from tape and I want to extract that file. How to do it?

VJware
Level 6

Sounds like you backed up the DeDupe Storage via the Shadow Copy Components to tape.

If that's the case, when you run the restore, you have to target the restore to the DeDupe Storage. It cannot be restored to a regular disk storage.

pkh
   VIP    Certified
How do you know that this file is in the shadow copy? Did you restore the shadow copy from the right volume? Also, some files in the shadow copy is kept in some kind of "containers". This is the Microsoft way to storing the file in the shadow copy

Aladyreg
Level 3

Yes it sounds like my problem. I backed up DeDupe Storage via Shadow Copy Components to tape.

So I should restore it directly to DeDupe Storage where are daily backups?

VJware
Level 6

Yes, it has to be restored directly to a DeDupe folder. The only way you can restore to another DeDupe folder is if you can setup another BE server.

alsan
Level 2

i have an issue symantec Backup exec server it just keep failing

this is the error below from the server

Job started     : Thursday, October 08, 2015 9:49:38 AM
Job ended       : Thursday, October 08, 2015 9:49:43 AM
Final error: 0xe0008113 - Physical Volume Library Robot not found.

Final error category: Backup Device Errors
Completed status: Failed

kindly help, and all the backup setting it not working right, some times it backup and some times it failed and it eject tape on some server backup

Aladyreg
Level 3

Be honest, I am afraid to restore it directly to DeDupe folder.

We are able to setup to BE server, where is the DeDupe folder... Is not possible to set 2 dedupe files and switch between them? For example one primary for daily backups and secondary for restores? 

VJware
Level 6

One can have only 1 DeDupe folder per BE media server hence, the suggestion to setup another BE server.

You'll have to install the DeDupe Option in trial and then create a new DeDupe folder using Configure Storage wizard.

Aladyreg
Level 3

Hello All,

I have tried many things, but I have another one question:

How exactly works restores from tape to original dedupe folder? There are backups of 30 days. If I restore data from 1 year old tape where is one day of all servers this day will be shown on the end of list of all backups? I am afraid to restore it to Dedupe, because I am not sure and I really do not want to loose all data from dedupe backups. Will restoration of tape to dedupe folder delete all backups and will replace it with data on tape?

Another one possible solution: is there any way how to backup only data from all servers? Not shadow copy? 

Thank you for your help

Aladyreg
Level 3

Hello,

I have tried many things, but I have another one question:

How exactly works restores from tape to original dedupe folder? There are backups of 30 days. If I restore data from 1 year old tape where is one day of all servers this day will be shown on the end of list of all backups? I am afraid to restore it to Dedupe, because I am not sure and I really do not want to loose all data from dedupe backups. Will restoration of tape to dedupe folder delete all backups and will replace it with data on tape?

Another one possible solution: is there any way how to backup only data from all servers? Not shadow copy? 

Thank you for your help

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Sorry, did you backup the dedupe folder to tape, or duplicate???

pkh
   VIP    Certified
When you backup the shadow copy component to backup the dedup folder, this backup is meant to recover the dedup folder when it is completely wiped out. When you restore the shadow copy component backup it will replace your existing dedup folder and you will end up at the state when the backup is taken. There is no selective restore of backup sets within the dedup folder. If you need to keep certain backup sets for long periods, then you should duplicate then to either tape or disk media

Aladyreg
Level 3

There are about 30 tasks which are backing up many servers to disk. Then on the end of day is a task  full backup of disk to tape (safety). We need also to backup it one per month twice - month backup which goes to safe (shadow copy). We need to test restoration procedure in case that we will need any data from month tape year ago. 

We do not have another license for second BE server.

Colin_Weaver

To try and explain things simply - if you want to backup data to tape that you have already backed up to a Deduplication store then you have 2 options

1) Duplicate the backup sets that are in the deduplication store to tape (thius does rehydrate teh data as it sraores it on tape so wil use more tape space.

2) Backup the Deduplication Store via Shadow Copy Components

Option 1 above should be used where you want to use offsite storage but also need  to allow the restore 1 or more individual files. This process actually allows the restore directly to the original server there is no need to recover back into the Deduplication Storage Folder (although you  can duplicate a complete backup set back from tape to deduplication if you need to get the files back into the deduplication storage) - Note staging may be needed for GRT sets when restoring from tape.

Option 2 above should ONLY be used to prepare for a full disaster recovery of your deduplication storage folder as you can only restore the complete set of the shadow copy components representing the deduplication folder data and as the process cannot do a merge it would take your deduplication folder back in time (which means you would lose any newer backup sets and would have to re-synch catalogs as well) In other words definitely not good for restore of individual files back to the original servers.

Most customers using deduplication and tape, duplicate backup sets to tape (as per option 1) and may not actually backup the Shadow Copy Components of the Deduplication Folder - but in the event of a disaster elect to create an empty Deduplication folder and then duplicate key backup sets back from tape and run new backups to re-populate the deduplication folder with data.

The other options to protect deduplication (which are used by customers) are

1) Do both 1 and 2 which will use even more tape storage but will give both the DR and the file by file restore requirements

2) Have a second Backup Exec Server also running Deduplication with a CASO/ESO setup and duplicate the backups between deduplication stores (as well as doing tape duplication if offsite storage needed) Hopefully you would not then lose boith Deduplication Stores at the same time and can then recover data from either as needed. (which again should means no need to do the Shadow Copy Backup

Aladyreg
Level 3

Hello Colin,

thank you so much for explaining. I totally understand situation and our favorit is first option - even it is new for me... I fetched a lot, but not found option to duplicate backup set. It is setup as standard job? 

So with tape containing only backup set and restore to deduplication storage it will not wipe data, right? How to restore directly from tape without duplicating to dedupe folder?

Thank you

Colin_Weaver

A duplicate job is a stage you add to a standard job  definition so that it can be regularly scheduled (or run directly after the initial job.) Edit your backup job definition to understand where to add a stage.

ALso I think if you open up your storage details and look at the backup sets you might be able to select a backup set and duplicate it from there as well (as a one off duplicate)

Aladyreg
Level 3

I do not know why, but my post was waiting to moderate and then not visible... again:

The second option is working ok - I can restore directly from tape! I would like to create the first option. I fetched all setup of backup and did not find it. My situation is exactly: Every day is incremental backup to dedupe. 1 times per week (saturday) is running full backup. Only full backup makes sense to backup. I am afraid that SBE is not possible to create such complicated condition - duplicate last full backup from each server on Saturday and store to tape. Is there this possibility?

Printscreen from job in attachment