cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec 2014 SDR Crashing when booting from iso image

Cosmyde
Level 3

I have created SDR disk using "Create Disaster Recovery Disk" option in BackupExec 2014.

When I boot the system from the DVD, after the "loading screen (picture attached)" the system is restarting.

1.jpg

Windows 2008 R2 ST SP1

Dell PowerEdge R710

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Cosmyde
Level 3

Mike@ - Symantec created a clean SDR iso for me.

Everything works fine with that one.

View solution in original post

26 REPLIES 26

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Is this system running Win 2012 or Win 2012 R2 ? if the latter, then it is currently not supported for use with SDR. If any other OS, I would recommend you to log a formal support case.

Cosmyde
Level 3

Hello VJware,

No is using Windows Server 2008 R2.

I will open one.

Thank you

maurijo
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Did you try to just recreate the SDR disk ? Maybe something went wrong.

Cosmyde
Level 3

maurijo,

Yes i tried but stil the same issue. I'm trying now to restore with the old disk provided by Symantec "Backup_Exec_2012_14.0_SP2_Recovery_Disk_64bit_Multilingual" .

Thank you.

VJware
Level 6

Are you sure its Win 2008 R2 as the tile icon seems to be of Win 8/Win 2012.

And are you able to boot successfully using the Windows OS DVD ?

Cosmyde
Level 3

Yes I'm sure, Is Windows Server 2008.

I have tried to use the old .iso image from Symantec "Backup_Exec_2012_14.0_SP2_Recovery_Disk_64bit_Multilingual" and it works great.

The restore was successfuly.

I have Backup Exec 2014 v 14.1.1786.

I have no ideea why the Simplified Disaster Recovery Disk Creation Wizard is creating the boot disk for Win8/Server 2012.

PramodKulkarni
Level 2
Employee

Hello,

Did you specify network location for SDR iso image creation or did you copy the SDR iso to network location to create CD/DVD? Sometimes corruption in ISO file may happen while creating it on network or during copy. If this is the case, please try generating SDR on local system.

If you have ESXi server / Hyper-V, could you please try directly booting using ISO image on Virtual machine (VM)?

Is it possible to upload the SDR iso here?

Can you please collect and send across the Create SDR Disk Wizard logs? Below are the steps:

1. Launch Backup Exec Debug Monitor

(Click BackupExec->Technical Support->Collect debug output or launch SGMon.exe in Backup Exec installation directory)

2. In Backup Exec Debug Monitor click on Capture and select Create SDR Disk Wizard check box.

3. Create SDR iso using Create Disaster Recovery Disk option.

4. After completion capture and send across the logs.

Thank you,

Pramod

Larekl
Not applicable

Hello,

Did this ever get resolved?  I am having the exact same issue with three 2008r2 servers that we are in the process of building.  The ISO creates fine, we write it to a CD and it boots to the point of the Symantec logo appearing.  The logo flashes up and the system then reboots.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

PramodKulkarni
Level 2
Employee

Hello Sir,

Could you please provide some more details.

1. Backup Exec version

2. Location of target ISO (whether you are creating it locally or on network location)

3. SGMON logs (Process to capture the logs mentioned above)

4. If you could upload the iso it will be great for analysis.

5. Server Hardware details.

Thanks,

Pramod

titanedv
Level 2

Is that problem solved? I have exactly the same problem and Symantec Support is working on this case since about one moth.

PramodKulkarni
Level 2
Employee

Hello Titanedv, Cosmyde,

Could you please let me know Symantec Support Case number?

Thanks,

Pramod

titanedv
Level 2

Hi Pramod,

my Support Case number is 07131580.

Mike19
Level 3

Did this ever get resolved?  I've been going back and forth with support for 2 weeks with zero help.

Pramod, would you add my case to the list of unhappy, unsuccessful Disaster Recoveries.  Luckily this is a test and we aren't actually relying on SDR for anything. 

Please see details of 07500524 for answers to your questions. However, my support people have not asked me to do a debug log. I have the same scenario as the original post owner except I actually get an error message. 

Your PC needs to restart.

Please hold down the power button.

Error Code: 0x0000000A

Parameters:

0xFFFFFFE6

0x0000001F

0x00000000

0x8157FAB

I'm posting this in hopes that someone with similar errors will find this thread and hopefully there will be a fix for it.

Mike19
Level 3

see below.  Thanks Pramod.

Cosmyde
Level 3

Mike@ - Symantec created a clean SDR iso for me.

Everything works fine with that one.

Mike19
Level 3

Well that gives me hope! Thanks for sharing.

Cosmyde
Level 3

If you would like I can upload the SDR iso file Monday.

VJware
Level 6

Hiya Mike,

Can you run this on the to be recovered server - http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/cc835722 and post/pm the output.

Secondly, I had a quick look @ your case and wanted to enquire if the OS is patched with SP2 or not and if you are creating the SDR disk on the media server or elsewhere.

Thanks.

Mike19
Level 3

What I've been trying to explain is that this doesn't appear to be related to the OS of the backed up system.  I've successfully used the SDR disc to boot/restore the "unsupported" OS/server to dissimilar hardware with no issue.  What I cannot do is boot the SDR disc to a certain server... which happens to be identical hardware of the server I want to restore.

To answer your question, the OS has not been updated and I don't know if that will happen due to the software that is running on it.  SDR iso is created on the media server and burned from my laptop. 

I tried to PM you the coreinfo but it says it's spam.  I'll try attaching it and if that doesn't work, I'll post here.

Thanks!