cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec 2014 SP2 lock SAP database file issue

m_khairuz
Level 3

Hi,

I have recently upgrade Backup Exec 2010 R3 to 2014 SP2 on one of my customer's VCenter server (Win 2008 r2).

Once the upgrade complete, the SAP system acting weird like some of the important file or db is missing.

And recently, the SAP vendor confirmed that the Backup Exec has lock the SAP db and user's cannot access the system.

This SAP system in install on one of the VM on this VC server and using Win 2003 r2. And it still use the old agent from 2010 R3 to connect with BE 2014.

So, my customer asking me to downgrade the backup exec back to 2010 R3.

My question & concern is :

1) Does Backup Exec able to lock database?

2) If I have to the the downgrade the software, the only way to do this is to uninstall the 2014 and re-install the 2010 R3. Is it correct?

3) Or is it the old agent use by SAP system (Win 2003 R2) cause this?

Appreciate any suggestion or comment on this matter

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

pkh
   VIP    Certified

This is similiar to this

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/backup-exec-2014-has-locked-sap-database

Don't post the same problem multiple times.

1) For BE 2014, are you backing up the Oracle database underlying the SAP database?  If so, the locking is likely because different Oracle databses under the SAP database are being backed up at different times.

For BE 2010, when you are using the SAP agent to backup the SAP database, all the underlying databases are treated as a whole database.  Hence no locking.

2) To revert back to BE 2010, you would have to uninstall BE 2014 and install BE 2010.  You would have to recreate all the jobs and configurations again.

For the longer term, reverting back to BE 2010 is not a solution.  You should explore install NetBackup which will support SAP.  This will avoid locking your client into an old version of SAP.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

pkh
   VIP    Certified

This is similiar to this

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/backup-exec-2014-has-locked-sap-database

Don't post the same problem multiple times.

1) For BE 2014, are you backing up the Oracle database underlying the SAP database?  If so, the locking is likely because different Oracle databses under the SAP database are being backed up at different times.

For BE 2010, when you are using the SAP agent to backup the SAP database, all the underlying databases are treated as a whole database.  Hence no locking.

2) To revert back to BE 2010, you would have to uninstall BE 2014 and install BE 2010.  You would have to recreate all the jobs and configurations again.

For the longer term, reverting back to BE 2010 is not a solution.  You should explore install NetBackup which will support SAP.  This will avoid locking your client into an old version of SAP.

m_khairuz
Level 3

Actualy this post is under 'unpublished' even I choose publish. Even re-edit this post doesn't publish my post. That's why I create a new one & able to publish it. Forgot to delete this one. My mistake.

This post is the first one i wrote. But then have discussion with my friend on this issue, so I have only 1 left question is what the different between 2010 R3 and 2014 on SAP oracle. Your previous answer have satisfied me & my customer.

Thanks