Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec 2014 SQL GRT with VMware

KeirL
Level 6
Partner

Hi

When backing up a SQL virtual machine with SQL GRT enabled what is the effect of an Incremental backup in the context of SQL? Is it effectively just backing up the changed blocks and so not a 'log' backup but more like a differential backup. I'm just trying to get me head around how SQL reacts to these backups and if there is any impact on have SQL set to simple or full recovery mode.

I can't find much in the way of technotes on Application GRT within virtual machines and also no settings that will allow me to change the way incremental backups are executed as I can with agent based SQL GRT.

many thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

If this option is enabled, then the transaction logs of the SQL DBs are backed up, post which they are truncated/flushed.

This option doesn't affect the ability of SQL DB restores, it affects the ability of transaction log logging. You can restore from the incremental backup set (whether this option is enabled or not), however you would still need access to the full backup set.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

VJware
Level 6

It runs a block level incremental.

And when a SQL VM is backed up using the Agent for VMware, there is an option in the VMware properties of the job - "Run a SQL log backup after backing up the virtual machine".

RahulG
Level 6
Employee

If you have setup your SQL Database such that requires log truncation (so not in simple mode) then is difficult have the AVVI backup along with a log backup to achieve 

refer http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH137587

VJware
Level 6

The KB provided by RahulG applies only to BE versions 2012 and earlier. BE 2014 and BE 15 have the new setting of performing log backup of the SQL VM as I mentioned earlier.

KeirL
Level 6
Partner

Thanks

So if I tick the box for 'a log backup after backing up the virtual machine' then I can restore back to the latest log file that I backed up. If this box isn't ticked and I want to restore a SQL database from the latest Incremental VMware backup will it still be successful?

Or is it the case that without this I can only restore from the latest VMware full backup?

VJware
Level 6

If this option is enabled, then the transaction logs of the SQL DBs are backed up, post which they are truncated/flushed.

This option doesn't affect the ability of SQL DB restores, it affects the ability of transaction log logging. You can restore from the incremental backup set (whether this option is enabled or not), however you would still need access to the full backup set.

KeirL
Level 6
Partner

Hi - thanks.

That makes sense. So there are no other settings that I need to configure with respect to SQL GRT when doing Incremental vmware backups?

VJware
Level 6

Nopes.

KeirL
Level 6
Partner
thanks very much