cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec 2014, Sharepoint Hyper-V VM backups w/SQL server 2008 R2

Michael_Rydzews
Level 3

Hi,

I have a Windows 2012 server that hosts 2 Hyper-V VMs. One VM is a Windows 2008R2 server running IIS, the other is a Windows 2008R2 server running Sharepoint 2010 Foundation (in farm mode) with SQL server 2008 R2 Express. I know thats not the recommended way to run Sharepoint, but I'm budget/resource constrained.

I have Backup Exec 2014 (with SP2) running on the host in Windows 2012, with the Agent for Hyper-V and the Agent for Sharepoint (Apps & DBs) installed, as well as thre BE Remote Agent installed in both VMs.

I have an LTO3 tape drive attached to the host for backup.

I want to backup the host machine, the web server VM, and Sharepoint.  I know I need to backup the sharepoint server farm, but what about the Sharepoint VM itself? Should I select the Vm and exclude Sharepoint within the VM selection?

Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

The Agent for Hyper-V does not support Application GRT when the Application is distributed across VMs. Secondly, you would not be able to make any individual exclusions when using the Agent for Hyper-V.

Would recommend at least the following backups:

1) Backup the local host machine using the standard agent.

2) Backup both the VMs with File-GRT, but without Application GRT.

3) Backup the Sharepoint Farm using the standard agent (From the Backup & Restore tab, choose the Sharepoint Farm container to add the resource)

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

The Agent for Hyper-V does not support Application GRT when the Application is distributed across VMs. Secondly, you would not be able to make any individual exclusions when using the Agent for Hyper-V.

Would recommend at least the following backups:

1) Backup the local host machine using the standard agent.

2) Backup both the VMs with File-GRT, but without Application GRT.

3) Backup the Sharepoint Farm using the standard agent (From the Backup & Restore tab, choose the Sharepoint Farm container to add the resource)