cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec 2014 Storage device pool SelectionMethod not working as expected

Kien_Nguyen
Level 3

I have created a storage device pool include 2 disk storage devices 001 and 002. I have changed the selectionmethod=mostfreespacefirst using CLI (only support in Exec 2014). But it seems to be not working as expected.

The backup job should target to most free space disk first, but it some time chosen the less free space disk then job failed because disk is full. The GRT backup jobs are not expandable to other storage devices.

I have searched around the internet but have found no answers.

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

pkh
   VIP    Certified

Have you used the Get-BEStorageDevicePool cmdlet to check that the selection method is set correctly?

In the Storage tab, check that the statistic xx GB used of yy GB of each disk storage is roughly correct before you job starts.  You might have to restart all the BE services to get xx updated.

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12

pkh
   VIP    Certified

Have you used the Get-BEStorageDevicePool cmdlet to check that the selection method is set correctly?

In the Storage tab, check that the statistic xx GB used of yy GB of each disk storage is roughly correct before you job starts.  You might have to restart all the BE services to get xx updated.

Kien_Nguyen
Level 3

Sure, I know that and confirm. I have even restarted the server.

For now, I had to pause the 001 (almost full)  to make sure the job will target to 002.

the server run windows 2012 R2 standard, Be 2014 sp1, latest updates. Do you think we have any bugs on the product?

Thanks,

Kien

pkh
   VIP    Certified

Did you check that the disk usage statistic is correct?

Kien_Nguyen
Level 3

Yes I confirm the disk usage statistic is correct. 

pkh
   VIP    Certified

In this case, you should log a formal support case with Symantec for them to look at the problem.

Kien_Nguyen
Level 3

Unfortunately I have also request support case, Symantec engineer has remoted to the system and see everything normal, setting is correct. I don't know why it is not working properly.

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

Did you confirm this usage before or after the jobs started as DLM activity could mean that if you looked after the job started the disk space stats had changed.

pkh
   VIP    Certified
This is a longshot but have you tried recreating the device pool?

Kien_Nguyen
Level 3

Yes I confirm I monitored it right before the job start.

My backup job will include 212 GB.

Right before job start, 001 has free space only about 100MB while 002 has free spce off 600GB.

The job run until 001 get full, then I receive alert insuffient disk space.

If in case the disk usage stats change, because the job target to 001 so it should have the free space more than 600GB.

I can't miss this.

Kien_Nguyen
Level 3

Hi PKH,

Yes, first I use system defined storage device pool and got this issue.

Then I create new storage device pool and set the selectionmethod=mostfreespace, still got this issue.

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

As uou appaer to have checked the statistics suggest you continue working with the support case and possibly even ask the support engineer if you can be advanced to the next level.

ciscosupport
Level 1

I confirm, we have the exactly same problem with selection method for the storage device pool.