cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec 2014 System State Access Denied

paulta
Level 4

Hi,

I'm running Backup Exec 2014 on a Windows Server 2012 and a job that is backing up a Windows Sever 2008 System State is failing with the below messages I've included below.

The system being backed up also runs Exchnage and is a DC - I know, terrible, I need to change that.

The system's exchange and data settings all back up successfully

All other systems and DC's back up successfully.

The Test credentials is successful. I have tested and run the backup with the domain admin account and the <use server's logon..> account for the system as a whole as I can't chnage just the System State Logon Account. All other backup jobs use the 

Job ended: Wednesday, 29 October 2014 at 3:12:52 PM
Completed status: Failed
Final error: 0xe0008488 - Access is denied.
Final error category: Security Errors
Backup- \\serv.child.domain.com.au\System?State
V-79-57344-33928 - Access Denied. Cannot backup directory \ and its subdirectories.
16 REPLIES 16

pkh
   VIP    Certified
Is the credential that you are using to backup the system state a member of the domain admin? This is required to backup AD

paulta
Level 4

I've tried running the job with the domain admin account. It only lets me change Logon account on the top level of the server, not the individual parts of the backup like system state.

Normally the job says it's using the System logon Account - whcih is actually set as using the administrator account.

pkh
   VIP    Certified

This is by design.  You can only have one credential per job.

Is this system logon account a domain admin?

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Do ensure the System Logon account is added in the format domain\admin and the account has rights as per http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH23689

And yes, you would not be able to set resource specific credentials in BE 2014 and they can be set only at the top-level. This is expected behavior.

And as this is a pretty generic error, debugging will help as well. If you plan on enabling debugging, do split off System State as a separate job.

paulta
Level 4

Thanks.

The account used is the main administrator account. so is a member of the domain admins group. Its the same account which is used for all other backup jobs of other servers which work correctly.

I have already separated off the system state part into a separate job. The job actually does run for about an hour and has a byte count of 17gb before erroring.

pkh
   VIP    Certified

Make sure you have not enabled the follow junction points and symbolic links options in your system state backup job.

BE 2012 - junction points.png

paulta
Level 4

I'm not backing u any files or folders (just system state) so that option is not available when editing the backup job

pkh
   VIP    Certified

If the server has a utility partition, give it a drive letter.

Zakirk_Khan
Level 4

Just Update your System logon Account credential in Backup Exec console and try the job.

paulta
Level 4

Ill try it with the system partition with a drive letter and let you know.

Thanks Zakirkhan - I have updated it and tried it with serveral different accounts as well as running the test crendential feature which passes.

paulta
Level 4

PKH - It failed after setting the system partition to have a drive letter

pkh
   VIP    Certified
Did you enable AOF in your job? If not, do so

paulta
Level 4

Yes, AOF is enabled with:

use snapshot technology: enabled

snapshot provider: automatic

Process logical volumes for backup one at a time: enabled

enable checkpoint restart: NOT enabled

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Can you enable debugging via SGmon ? If yes, pls do so and post/pm the log.

pkh
   VIP    Certified
For AOF try specifying the VSS provider instead of automatic

paulta
Level 4

The system state job has started working now. Not sure why as every setting is the same as well I started this but thanks for all your help poeple. I changed a few things, run a few jobs adn then changed them back. The last job was running for a day so I cancelled it and then it worked on the next run through. Only change still left in place was giving the system partition a drive letter but I don't think this was the solution.