cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec 2014 & Tape Backup

TheKid7
Level 3

Windows Storage Server 2012 64 bit, Backup Exec 2014

I have a Dell NAS Server that I plan to backup monthly to a Dell TL2000 Tape Backup System.  I am in the process of making the first backup.  The Dell NAS currently has about 24 TB of Data to be backuped up and the amount of data may eventually grow to around 30 TB.  Questions:

1.  How does Backup Exec handle data changes during the Backup Operation?  Almost all of the data being backup up is Symantec Images from PC's and Server's in the Network.  These PC's and Server's are scheduled to run Symantec Backups of their hard drives to the NAS during periods of time which do not overlap with each other.

2.  Does Backup Exec use something like Windows VSS during the Backup Operation?

3.  It appears that the current Backup Operation of ~24 TB of data may take around a week to complete.  Does this sound normal/typical?

4.  Any suggestion for a 'Best Practice' for backing up this very LARGE amount of data?

Thanks in Advance.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

pkh
   VIP    Certified

The tape drive must be attached to the media server which in your case is the NAS.  Make sure that the OS of the NAS is supported.  See the SCL below

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH217478

Usually the OS of a NAS is a customised version of an OS, so even if it is a supported OS, you might still run into trouble.  You either use a stand-alone server or take your chances.

To lessen your backup load, you might want to look at doing incremental backups of your images.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

pkh
   VIP    Certified
What are these images that you are talking about? Are you using SSR? BE does use VSS to see snapshot disks and freeze changes. However since the NAS is not connected to the media server, it will not be snapshot. If the NAS is connected to the media server using iSCSI then it will be be snapshot during the backup

TheKid7
Level 3

The Images which are being backup up were created by SSR.  Currently, there are about 24 TB's of Images and this could grow to around 30 TB's before earlier Images are deleted to make space for newly created Images.

Since I have Backup Exec 2014 installed on the NAS Server which is being backed up, does this mean that the backup to a Tape Backup System may not work properly?

pkh
   VIP    Certified

The tape drive must be attached to the media server which in your case is the NAS.  Make sure that the OS of the NAS is supported.  See the SCL below

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH217478

Usually the OS of a NAS is a customised version of an OS, so even if it is a supported OS, you might still run into trouble.  You either use a stand-alone server or take your chances.

To lessen your backup load, you might want to look at doing incremental backups of your images.