cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec 2014 Unable to backup Final Cut Pro Files

ajstan
Level 3

Hi,

I've been using Backup Exec 2014 to backup a Synology NAS and generally its worked ok.

Some of the files that need to get backed up are Final Cut Pro files (FCP) created on Mavericks but everytime SBE14 gets to these files, it fails the whole backup and 'Access Denied' shows up in the log. (Screenshot below).

Screen Shot 2015-05-18 at 16.35.45.png

The strange thing is, I can access these files no problem on Windows and from the Macs and no permissions have been set. 

With a little bit more digging, I started to wonder if the problem was something to do with symbolic links. I found although I could look at the folder in question on Windows, I was unable to copy it local but had no problem on the a Mac.

I found in my Synology NAS that if I 'Allow Symbolic links within shared folders', on Windows the file size would change dramatically.

Screen Shot 2015-05-18 at 16.34.40.png

You can see here the folder is 4.18GB. This is correct and is also shown as 4.18 on the Mac and when viewed on NAS.

Screen Shot 2015-05-18 at 16.34.18.png

After adjusting Symbolic Links it's shown as 55.3GB. I tried to ran a backup like this but SBE14 reached 70GB before I decided to cancel the job.

Screen Shot 2015-05-18 at 16.34.57.png

This may not strictly be an SBE14 problem, however, I was hoping this should be invisible to SBE14 - I just want it to chuck the data onto tape.

It has me completely stumped. Can anyone shed any light on this?

Thanks,

Alex

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

pkh
   VIP    Certified

In your backup job, you should uncheck the option to follow symbolic links.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

lmosla
Level 6

The Backup Exec Service Account (BESA) needs to have full Read/Write permissions for the NAS.  

also make sure there is exclusions for the Backup Exec process if there is any Anti Virus scanning 

refer: http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH30739

pkh
   VIP    Certified

In your backup job, you should uncheck the option to follow symbolic links.