cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec 2014 - Use a single drive only in Robotic Library

leedudmish
Level 0

Hi All,

hoping someone out there can help me with this particular configuration question.

we have backup exec connected to a robotic tape library carrying out fulls weekly and incrementals daily.

my question is around configuration we would ideally like to be able to do restores ad hoc as such library has 2 tape drives in the device however the backup job will use both drives, we would ideally like to specify one drive for backups and one for restores - aware backups may take longer however often when needed the technicians in location are stopping full job as it has not finished to allow the restore to take place.

by seperating out each drive 1 for backups and one for restores it will ensure that restores can be done and backups wont be interrupted. 

unsure what configuration is needed - have used partitioning before however thats more for slots/jobs as opposed to ensuring only one drive is used.

any help is appreciated

thanks

Lee

2 REPLIES 2

PJ_Backup
Employee

Hi Lee,

I believe you should be able to achieve what you want through the use of Storage Pools. So in the Storage Tab - Configure Storage - Storage Pools - Storage Device Pool - <give it a name - eg Tape Pool 1> - Storage device pool type (choose Tape Drive as oppsed to eg disk) - tick which Tape Drive you want added to this pool - Finish.

In your backup job under Storage options you can then specify the tape pool you just created. Then create a second pool similarly - to be used for restores (or whatever, your choice).

Note the basic process above is based on Backup Exec 20.6 / BE21 however I believe the whole process was pretty much the same in BE2014.

Hope this helps..!

Pete

RogRubin
Employee

I have not tested this myself but this might do what you are after.
Target every backup job to the tape drive itself and not the library. Obviously all backup jobs to the same tape drive.
Let us know if that does what you after for the benefit of others.