cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec 2014 - V-79-57344-38747 on Active Directory GRT backup

Mark_Valpreda
Level 5

Media server is Windows Server 2008 R2 running HyperV
Backup Exec 2014 VRay edition (uninstall/reinstall from 2012)
4 VMs (AD, SQL, Exchange, terminal server) all have RAWS 14.1.1786 installed

Getting the following exception on the Server 2008 R2 VM that is the AD controller.

V-79-57344-38747 - Backup Exec was unable to prepare Microsoft Active Directory resources for Granular Recovery Technology (GRT) operations.  Therefore you will be unable to perform GRT-enabled restores of Microsoft Active Directory data from this backup.

Did not get this with 2012. All VSS writers are in a stable state. I looked +/- 60 minutes in the event viewer and I don't see any errors.

Thanks for any input.

8 REPLIES 8

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Is the remote agent installed and running in the VM ?

Does the Backup Exec account have appropriate permissions to backup/restore the DC's system state ?

Possibly, you are facing a known issue (as it used to work in BE 2012). I would recommend to log a support case and reference TECH217612

Mark_Valpreda
Level 5

Remote agent is installed on the VM. Backup Exec is using the domain adminstrator account and all permissions tests pass.

Neol
Level 2
Partner Accredited Certified
I had the same problem.

w-d
Level 4
Employee Accredited Certified

The issues is noticed in BE 2014 as well. Open a formal case with Technical Support to work on that.

As a workaround please run the agent-based backup.

steves_2
Level 4

I have the same problem as well.

BE 2014 V-RAY with HF-218257 running on windows server 2012r2 is unable to backup my 2012r2  VM domain controllers running on 2012r2 hyper-v hosts.

V-79-57344-38747 - Backup Exec was unable to prepare Microsoft Active Directory resources for Granular Recovery Technology (GRT) operations.  Therefore you will be unable to perform GRT-enabled restores of Microsoft Active Directory data from this backup.

Steve

Christian2014
Level 0

We have the same issue (V-79-57344-38747 - AD GRT).

BE 2014 HF-218257 on W2K8, AD-Server on W2K8R2 on VM 5.0U3

After the AD-Server was rebooted, BE performs a backup without a problem. On the next day BE will be unable to perform GRT.

So my Workaround is that I reboot the Server for de weekly full backup. If there was more changes, I also reboot the Server for the incremently daily Backup.

I think there is a process or something locked on the Server until a Reboot will be performed.

Chris

Tirelibirefe
Level 4

I have a similar problem. My backups don't display any error messages but when I attempt to restore folders or AD objects are not being displayed.

Is there anybody who could run GRT?

AlexRoom
Level 3

Same thing. Only reboot helps to unlock GRT backup. Trying to restart BE agent service, but it does not help.