Hi,

I have a customer who has the following setup:

• 2 x Hyper-V host servers (2 sockets each) - each running 5 VM's
  • 1 x media server (1 socket)
  • 2 x physical servers (2 sockets each)

They have purchased the following licences:

• 4 x V-Ray Tier A licences
  • 2 x Agents for Windows

We are now seeing an issue where Backup Exec is reporting that it is 3 x V-Ray licences short and I can't figure out why. The V-Ray licences should cover, as far as I believe, the Media server, the 2 hosts and all the VM's. The extra 2 physical servers should be covered by the agents for windows, regardless of the number of sockets.

Has anyone got any idea as to why Backup Exec would be reporting this?

Thanks

Gary

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MasterBit
Level 2

Hi!

Are the Hyper-V hosts configured as a failover cluster? Backup Exec ist incorrectly counting the number of V-Ray licenses in use. At our site, we also have 2 Hyper-V hosts in a cluster configuration. BE ist counting 6 licenses in use instead of 4, because it also counts the virtual cluster resource as a host.

Do you have Hyper-V service activated on your BE Media Server? Maybe the third V-Ray comes from there? Is the BE Media Server Icon looking like a physical Server or a Hyper-V host?

After endless writing to support, Symantec engineer admitted, that it´s a bug in the licensing mechanism of BE and is maybe adressed in SP2 (Dec/Jan). They assured me, that we have the correct number of licenses and BE will be working fine.

Hope this helps

MasterBit

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

pkh
   VIP    Certified
There are some previous discussions which the users complained about this same problem. I think you are o.k. but just to be sure, check with the Symantec Licencing department that you are properly licensed and you can ignore the warning

MasterBit
Level 2

Hi!

Are the Hyper-V hosts configured as a failover cluster? Backup Exec ist incorrectly counting the number of V-Ray licenses in use. At our site, we also have 2 Hyper-V hosts in a cluster configuration. BE ist counting 6 licenses in use instead of 4, because it also counts the virtual cluster resource as a host.

Do you have Hyper-V service activated on your BE Media Server? Maybe the third V-Ray comes from there? Is the BE Media Server Icon looking like a physical Server or a Hyper-V host?

After endless writing to support, Symantec engineer admitted, that it´s a bug in the licensing mechanism of BE and is maybe adressed in SP2 (Dec/Jan). They assured me, that we have the correct number of licenses and BE will be working fine.

Hope this helps

MasterBit

TankMurdoch
Level 3
Accredited

Hi MasterBit,

Yes, the hosts are configured as a cluster.

I think you might be onto something as the media server icon does look like it thinks it is a Hyper-V host server. There are 3 Hyper-V services running on the media server.

Hopefully the issue will be resolved in the next SP.

Thanks

Gary

pzabortsev
Level 1

Hi all,

Just FYI: nothing has changed in SP2.

Will be waiting another SP...