cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec 2014 agent for applications and databases

markstevenshpvn
Level 2

Hi all guys,

I have a Windows 2012 R2 server with SQL server and Exchange server installed on it. So, what the number of agent for applications and databases license I must have.

01 agent for applications and databases (cover both SQL server and Exchange server) or 02 agents for applications and databases (one for each application).

Please help! 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Extract from BE Licensing Guide:

Each agent or feature in Custom Edition must be licensed for specific use per server. For example, if a Microsoft SQL instance and a Microsoft Exchange server will be backed up, 2 licenses for the Agent for Applications and Databases must be purchased.

So, you need 2 licenses. 

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

Marianne

Is your W2012 server perhaps a Hyper-V server with a SQL VM and another Exchange VM?
Or really one physical server with both applications installed? 

I'm not sure that Microsoft will support Exchange and SQL installed on the same server, unless they are separate VMs in a virtual environment.

PS:
BE2014 is EOSL and you can no longer purchase or generate licenses for this version. 

Sorry, I have checked. It is 20.1 version. Exchange and SQL server installed on a physical machine. 

So what number of agent for application and database license I have to buy ?. Thanks.

Marianne

Extract from BE Licensing Guide:

Each agent or feature in Custom Edition must be licensed for specific use per server. For example, if a Microsoft SQL instance and a Microsoft Exchange server will be backed up, 2 licenses for the Agent for Applications and Databases must be purchased.

So, you need 2 licenses.