cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec 2014 and Exchange 2013

Maayo
Level 4

Greetings,

I have an issue I am hoping someone out there can assist with. We use Backup Exec 2014 on a Windows 2012 R2 platform to backup 2x MS Exchange 2013 servers. Weekly Full, and daily incremental backups work fine - At least we don't get any errors in Backup Exec. All jobs always reflect as having completed successfully. One thing I don't see as part of the exchange backups is the Information Store/Managed Store

However, when having a look in Exchange, we are not able to see the last full/incremental backup timestamp. I have followed the steps in the BE Admin guide. It seems the only time we can view these timestamps is when we do a Windows Server Backup.

Has anyone come across this issue? Better yet, what is the right configuration to follow in BE to be able to view the backup timestamps in Exchange?

Any help/suggestions will be very appreciated.

Thank you,

32 REPLIES 32

ZeRoC00L
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Do you have the BE Exchange Agent installed and licensed (on the backup exec media server) ?

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Do you see the Exchange resource backed up successfully when you expand the job log itself ? Alternatively, do you see the Exchange resources in the restore selections view ?

Maayo
Level 4

Good morning and thank you very much for your replies.

@ZeRoC00L: The BE Exchange agent is installed and licensed on both Exchange servers, including the BE media server.

@VJware: I do see the Exchange resource successfully backed up upon expanding the job log. However, I do not see any Exchange information/data in the restore selections view. Only two options I see available to restore from are:

* Files, folders, or volumes

* Complete online restore of a computer, or restore system component.

Maayo
Level 4

Here's a few screenshots:

Maayo
Level 4

VJware
Level 6

Would u pls attach the entire job log over here ? Thanks.

Maayo
Level 4

Maayo
Level 4

VJware
Level 6

Your screenshots do not show the Exchange resource being backed up. If you look @ the 2nd screenshot, it shows only C:\, D:\ and E:\ drives being backed up and not Information Store.

Maayo
Level 4

Hi VJware,

My apologies, the screenshot was cutoff. It is actually drives C, D, E, F and the System?State.

Please bare with me as I am new to this. So how do I include the Information Store to the backups?

Maayo
Level 4

Please see attached the full job log.

pkh
   VIP    Certified
When you expand the server, you should be able to see a Microsoft Information Store node which needs to be selected to backup Exchange. If you do not set this node, then it is probably because you did not install an Agent for Applications and Databases licence on the media server and enabled the Exchange option

Maayo
Level 4

Hello @phk,

I do not see the Microsoft Information Store node, even though the Agent for Applications and Databases is installed and licensed on the media server.

VJware
Level 6

Try couple of steps:

1) Remove and re-add the Agent for Applications and Database license. Do ensure you complete the license install wizard while readding the license.

2) Do ensure the BE account has Exchange specific permissions as per - https://support.symantec.com/en_US/article.TECH184449.html

Maayo
Level 4

Hi @VJware,

Thank you very much for your reply. I followed the suggested steps till completion of the wizard, and no luck. Just to confirm, the BE account has all the permissions suggested in TECH184449.

Still not able to view the Information store from my backup selections. I have attached a screenshot.

Thanks again.

VJware
Level 6

Is this a stand-alone Exchange server or part of a DAG ?. If its a DAG, then add the DAG from the Backup & Restore tab.

These are few common reasons when the Exchange Information Store is not seen in the backup selections -

1) The Agent for Applications and Database license is not properly installed. On the BE media server, open a command prompt and type: fltmc
Do you see a listing for VirtFile ?

2) The BE account does not Exchange-specific permissions.
Follow this KB article first - https://support.symantec.com/en_US/article.TECH212113.html
Then run the SymHelp Tool on both servers to verify the requirements are being met or not - https://support.symantec.com/en_US/article.TECH105414.html

3) The Exchange VSS writer is disabled or missing when you run the following command on the Exchange server:
vssadmin list writers
Enable the VSS writer using https://support.symantec.com/en_US/article.TECH143084.html

Maayo
Level 4

Good afternoon @VJware,

Thank you very much for your continued and resourceful advice.

It seems I am getting somewhere: we have 2 exchange servers that form part of a DAG. It turns out in my case, that the DAG was actually never added under Backup & Restore... #FacePalm!!

So we have just made that change in Backup Exec. Now we are just waiting for a more opportune time to reboot the server hosting the DAG to apply changes.

I will keep you informed on how things workout.

Thanks again.

Maayo
Level 4

Good morning @VJware,

Sorry I have not been on here to update.

So we have now added our DAG under Backup & Restore. It is the witness server to both our exchange servers. I now wanted to know whether from here, I still need to install and go through the 4th option in the screenshot.

Many thanks.

Maayo
Level 4

Also please see attached the results I get from running fltmc.

Thank you.