cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec 2014 and Exchange 2013

Maayo
Level 4

Greetings,

I have an issue I am hoping someone out there can assist with. We use Backup Exec 2014 on a Windows 2012 R2 platform to backup 2x MS Exchange 2013 servers. Weekly Full, and daily incremental backups work fine - At least we don't get any errors in Backup Exec. All jobs always reflect as having completed successfully. One thing I don't see as part of the exchange backups is the Information Store/Managed Store

However, when having a look in Exchange, we are not able to see the last full/incremental backup timestamp. I have followed the steps in the BE Admin guide. It seems the only time we can view these timestamps is when we do a Windows Server Backup.

Has anyone come across this issue? Better yet, what is the right configuration to follow in BE to be able to view the backup timestamps in Exchange?

Any help/suggestions will be very appreciated.

Thank you,

32 REPLIES 32

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Yes, the 4th option is to be used to add the DAG under the Backup & Restore tab and the output of fltmc looks fine.

Maayo
Level 4

Hi @VJware,

Thank you for the response.

So I have been trying to add the DAG via the Add a server wizard under Backup & Restore. I get to the part where I am asked to Enter the name of a domain controller that contains the forest. The issue I now face is that I keep getting an error saying "No Database Availability Groups were found". I have entered both domain controller and DAG names (including FQDNs), but no luck. Screenshots are attached.

Kindly advice when you have a chance - Thanks again.

Maayo
Level 4

2nd screenshot.

VJware
Level 6

Do all nodes of the DAG have the remote agent installed ?

And just re-read your previous comment - So we have now added our DAG under Backup & Restore

How was this added ?

Maayo
Level 4

All nodes do have the remote agent installed, however I think it is the agent for Windows and not the one for Exchange. Unless they are one and the same?

The Dag server was added using the first option (Microsoft Windows computers and servers), from the Add a server wizard.

VJware
Level 6

1) Its the same.

2) Remove the DAG server which was added earlier and re-add it using the 4th option.

Maayo
Level 4

Thank you VJware,

Will this not push the agent to the nodes again?

Maayo
Level 4

Tried re-adding DAG using 4th option. I now get the error attached.

VJware
Level 6

Click on OK and Finish. Check if the DAG is added or not. If not, restart the remote agent service on all nodes (reboot is preferable, if possible) and then try to readd the DAG again.

Maayo
Level 4

Morning VJware,

Thank you very much for the response. Tried again after restarting the remote agent service on the nodes, but no luck. All the nodes were rebooted just last week though. So I am very puzzled.

Maayo
Level 4

So after some research I came across the article in the link below:

http://jetzemellema.blogspot.com/2015/01/considering-exchange-2013-dag-without.html

This pretty much sums up how our DAG is setup, i.e. without AAP/CNO. I wanted to know your thoughts on this. Is there by chance a way around this issue?

Thanks.

VJware
Level 6

I believe NBU has a workaround as per https://support.symantec.com/en_US/article.TECH223843.html

However, BE requires a cluster administrative access point as per https://support.symantec.com/en_US/article.TECH218366.html

Maayo
Level 4

Understood - Thank you very much for your kind assistance. Much appreciated.