Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec 2014 and NetApp Dedup

Slim_786
Level 4
Partner Accredited Certified

Hello,

Our Customer has a FAS3240 NetApp device used as his SAN. 

The customer has CIFS shares as well as LUNS presented to Servers from the NetApp that need to be backed up,

All this Data sitting on the NetApp is allready Deduped by the Netapp,

Backup Exec 2014 has been installed and a LUN has been presented via FC from the NetApp to be used as the BE Dedup Storage Folder,

My Question here is what happens when the backup runs to the BE Dedup folder, as mentioned the data being backed up is allready deduped by the NetApp, will this data be rehydrated and then backed up to the BE Dedup folder?

We have considered just presenting a LUN to the BE server via FC and configuring it as normal basic disk storage and allowing the NetApp to do the Deduplication, the problem with this is that we cannot then use BE optimised duplication to replicate this data to the DR site.

Urgent Assistance required please

Thanks,

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi,

The data should be rehydrated and then deduped again to disk in BE.

Thanks!

View solution in original post

pkh
   VIP    Certified

My Question here is what happens when the backup runs to the BE Dedup folder, as mentioned the data being backed up is allready deduped by the NetApp, will this data be rehydrated and then backed up to the BE Dedup folder?

It is actually the other way round.  When you backup to the dedup folder, the data is dedup'ed and then your appliance would dedup the data in the dedup folder.  I think is setup is redundant and at best, you hope that the double dedup would not impact performance.  I don't think you are going to get a good dedup ratio for the second dedup by the appliance.  If possible, you should turn off the dedup on the appliance.

Unfortunately, the appliance is not OST-compatible.  Otherwise, you can use it as an OST appliance and offload BE's dedup processing to this appliance.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

CraigV

Hi,

The data should be rehydrated and then deduped again to disk in BE.

Thanks!

Slim_786
Level 4

Thanks Craig, I guess this is the only option we have then to backup the data. so if it has to be rehydrated first then that means we going to have much slower backups unfortunately. 

CraigV

...I would assume that if you moved the data between NetApp arrays, with both running dedupe, data would not be rehydrated. However, this would be the case between the netApp and BE dedupe folder.

Thanks!

pkh
   VIP    Certified

It is actually the other way round.  When you backup to the dedup folder, the data is dedup'ed and then your appliance would dedup the data in the dedup folder.  I think is setup is redundant and at best, you hope that the double dedup would not impact performance.  I don't think you are going to get a good dedup ratio for the second dedup by the appliance.  If possible, you should turn off the dedup on the appliance.

Unfortunately, the appliance is not OST-compatible.  Otherwise, you can use it as an OST appliance and offload BE's dedup processing to this appliance.

Slim_786
Level 4

Thanks, yup thats the 1st thing i checked in the HCL, unfortunately this NetApp is not OST compatible,

I think we sorted now...We have presented a LUN from the NetApp via FC to the Backup Exec Server for the BE Dedup Folder, We then disabled the NetApp Deduplication for that specific LUN to allow for only BE to Deduplicate the backed up data.

Havent configured any backups yet but still abit concerned of the backup performance, remember the data that has to be backed up is also sitting on the NetApp which is allready deduplicated, just hope the rehydration process when a backup runs doesnt cause any major issues.