cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec 2014 and Symantec Enterprise Vault 10 server backup

Michael_Rydzews
Level 3

Hi,

I have installed Backup Exec 2014 with SP1 on a Windows 2008R2 server that hosts Symantec Enterprise Vault 10.0.4. In Backup Exec, I see 'two' servers listed, the Windows server itself (drives C & D, System State, and SQL server, only the Microsoft supplied DBs, not any Vault DBs), as well as the Directory, which contains the Vault Site, the Vault SQL DBs, and the Vault Index locations.

I am looking for a way to backup both 'servers' together in 1 backup. I have an LTO5 tape drive that easily holds all of the data to be backed up.

As far as I can see, I can only backup each server separately.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Mike Rydzewski

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Sym-cr
Level 5

Hi Michael,

As far as I understood your environment, you have installed Backup Exec 2014 and EV 10.0.4 on the same Win 2008 R2 server. - Not a good idea. It is always suggested to have Backup Application on a seperate server, so that in case of  BE server crash you will have your EV running and in case of EV crash you can restore EV using other server where your BE is installed.

However, in BE 2014 we can create a multi server backup job, where we can add more than one server in a single backup job. Hence, as you mentioned that BE console has two servers listed, you can try to add both the servers in a single backup job. Backup the Vault Site, Vault SQL DBs, and Vault Index locations only from the directory server and avoid backing files related to these directly from their physical locations.

For further reference: 
Best practices for Backup Exec 2014 Agent for Enterprise Vault and the Backup Exec Migrator

http://www.symantec.com/docs/HOWTO74440

Thanks!!

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

Sym-cr
Level 5

Hi Michael,

As far as I understood your environment, you have installed Backup Exec 2014 and EV 10.0.4 on the same Win 2008 R2 server. - Not a good idea. It is always suggested to have Backup Application on a seperate server, so that in case of  BE server crash you will have your EV running and in case of EV crash you can restore EV using other server where your BE is installed.

However, in BE 2014 we can create a multi server backup job, where we can add more than one server in a single backup job. Hence, as you mentioned that BE console has two servers listed, you can try to add both the servers in a single backup job. Backup the Vault Site, Vault SQL DBs, and Vault Index locations only from the directory server and avoid backing files related to these directly from their physical locations.

For further reference: 
Best practices for Backup Exec 2014 Agent for Enterprise Vault and the Backup Exec Migrator

http://www.symantec.com/docs/HOWTO74440

Thanks!!

Michael_Rydzews
Level 3

Hi,

Thanks, I will give this a try. I know they should be on separate physical servers, but I'm budget constrained.

Mike

Michael_Rydzews
Level 3

I jsut didnt see how to select all of the servers in for a single backup. Once I right clicked on the group "All Servers' I was able to select everything for backup. Thanks!

Mike