cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec 2014 - any support for backing up desktops and laptops?

today
Level 4

I think I remember reading somewhere that the Deskop and Laptop Option support has been removed from Backup Exec 2014.  Is that correct?  If so, what is the recommended path for backing up Desktops and Laptops with BE 2014?  Or is BE 2014 exclusively a "Server Only" product now?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi,

You can use the RAWS agent to backup VMs, but you need to weigh up the cost for a RAWS agent per supported desktop OS, and Symantec Desktop and Laptop Option.

A vendor, or Symantec licensing can assist you with costs on this. Symantec DLO is obviously a dedicated workstation backup utility.

Thanks!

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

CraigV

Hi,

You can use the RAWS agent to backup VMs, but you need to weigh up the cost for a RAWS agent per supported desktop OS, and Symantec Desktop and Laptop Option.

A vendor, or Symantec licensing can assist you with costs on this. Symantec DLO is obviously a dedicated workstation backup utility.

Thanks!

today
Level 4

Thank you for the reply.

I guess I'm confused because the name is "Desktop and Laptop Option", which sounds to me like it is an optional piece to another main piece of software, like Backup Exec.  I would never guess that with Option in the name that it would be a stand-alone piece of software.

Why does Symantec name everything so confusingly?  Another example is the VMware/Hyper-V Agent is not actually an Agent like the Windows Agent, but really a License.  I had to make a post about that as well to gain clarity.  It should not be this hard.

pkh
   VIP    Certified

DLO used to be part of BE until BE 2010 so it is really an option until recently.  Do be aware that DLO only backs up user files/folders, like My Document.  It does not backup the OS and is not meant for recovery of the workstation.

CraigV

...technically it is an agent as it locks the functionality to see Exchange, Hyper-V/VMware, SQL etc.

If you want filer-level backups of data then DLO will work like a charm. If you want full recovery of your desktoip OS AND files, then look at Symantec System Recovery Desktop Edition.

Thanks!