Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec 2014 couldn't discover scsi attached disk on VM

vaultlearner
Level 4
Partner Accredited

Hello;

One of our customer has Domino 9.0 on ESX and it has 3 drives C D and H. H drive Scsi attached to This VM machine. Also databases are on this drive. When we try to backup as a VM we can see C and D drive on the selection list. It should be on the datastores for discover or not? 

Also I check for compability they all fine.

Thanks All.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

There isn't any way to back up such a configuration using the VMware agent and the only way is using the Remote Agent as you have found out.

View solution in original post

15 REPLIES 15

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Is this an RDM disk? Do you have the agent for Domino installed on the media server?

vaultlearner
Level 4
Partner Accredited

CraigV thank you for quick reply. I don't know it is RDM or VMFS.Yes we have agent. Also installed on Domino server. By the way we can see 3 drives when we try to backup on Domino server itself.

VJware
Level 6

Would you pls confirm the version of ESX and whether a RDM disk is being used or not. Thanks.

vaultlearner
Level 4
Partner Accredited

Hello

ESX versiyon: 5.5

Disk is not RDM. You can see 2 drives at the attachment 1 is not here so we can't see it(Pls Check the attachment). They have virtual scsi and attached to this VM. I am wondering about is there a solution to show this drive to backup exec over VM backup.

Thanks.

CraigV

...this isn't a Backup Exec issue. If you can't see the 3rd HDD within VMware you need to check with your admin (assuming it isn't you) where this HDD comes from.

vaultlearner
Level 4
Partner Accredited

CraigV thank you but I know it isn't BE issue. Because I can see 3 HDD's when I backing up with agent for windows(Not VM Backup). This missing HDD not in datastores think like mapped from another storage. So my question is, Is there any trick or solution to show this attached HDD to BE when taking VM backup 's.

CraigV

You need to find out where this 3rd HDD comes from. Is it part of the 2 VMFS HDDs presented to the VM? Backup Exec generally sees what the OS sees, but in this case there seems to be an issue with that. resolve that and BE should see the HDD.

VJware
Level 6

BE queries the vCenter / ESX host for details about the VMs. If the virtual host sees the VM with 2 disks, then it returns the same information to BE.

How exactly is the 3rd drive configured and presented ?

vaultlearner
Level 4
Partner Accredited

Thanks VJware, Storage  A   has  all  Datastore and  keeps  all VMDK  files , C,D  drives  comes  from that  Datastore  but  H drive  has attached  from  Storage B  its  not  part of  VMware  structure , some  partition has been attached  to  Windows  as  ISCSI. Thats   why  when  we  check the  data store ,  we can just  see partitions from  Storage  A.

CraigV

Backup Exec would still see what Windows sees. Check your iSCSI connection, and have you tried to reboot the VM?

VJware
Level 6

In this case, VMware Agent level backup wouldn't discover the iSCSI attached drive since it is outside the VM structure. However, it sounds like it is detected within the VM's OS itself which is why a Remote Agent backup works.

vaultlearner
Level 4
Partner Accredited

@Vjware yes just like you told. But do we have article about why wouldn't see?

@CraigV it is Domino Server and databases are on H drive which is we can't see at the VM Backup. Nothing wrong with İSCSİ connection. Beacuse Mail server is working. And we didn't reboot server.

VJware
Level 6

The closest article i could find is this -

https://support.symantec.com/en_US/article.TECH69225.html

Have a look @ this article and the VM article as well which is present in the above article.

vaultlearner
Level 4
Partner Accredited

I checked too many articles. I couldn't find solution. So best way is taking backup with remote agent. 

Thank you for your help Vjware and CraigV.

VJware
Level 6

There isn't any way to back up such a configuration using the VMware agent and the only way is using the Remote Agent as you have found out.