cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec 2014 .dr file not being created on SBS2008

srgalpin
Level 2

Hi All,

I have a customer running Backup Exec 2014 v14.1 and I cannot get it to create a .dr file not matter what I do even though the SDR has the green light on it.

I have follewed every support article I can find without success.

Without the .dr, I can't to a SDR which is important to have.

If anyone has any help or support for this set up, I would be grateful of your help.

Many thanks in advance

15 REPLIES 15

pkh
   VIP    Certified

Have you tried recreating the job?

I have completely deleted the job and re-created it and that hasn't fixed unfortunately.

Everything is selected except for the USB HDD that it is backing up onto.

I have checked the configuration settings and made sure an alternate location is selected as well as the default.

I tried creating the registry entry as per this article - https://vox.veritas.com/t5/Backup-Exec/DR-File-Not-Created/td-p/498270

It hasn't worked, but I haven't restarted the Server yet after adding it, so that may help.

Thanks

criley
Employee Accredited

Thanks for the reply.

I have checked all the VSS writers and they all show as no error and fine, so that hasn't helped I'm afraid.

Cheers

pkh
   VIP    Certified

his is the wrong registry entry to use.

You should include everything on the server including the drive with the disk storage and exclude the .bkf files the backup by creating the registry entry at the bottom of this document

http://www.veritas.com/docs/000075465

Thanks pkh

I'll try that tonight and see if that fixes it.

Cheers

I tried that re entry and it did omit the .bkf files from the backup.

However, it still doesn't dreate the .dr file.

I deleted the backup job and re-created it from scratch and it still didn't create it.

Any more ideas anyone?

Thanks

criley
Employee Accredited

I suspect you will need to debug this using SGMon to see what error is shown during the backup. This is likely to give us some clues..

I've run sgmon during last night's back up, but when searching the logs, I cannot find anything to do with .dr files.

Does anyone know where to look for the potential error?

Thanks again

criley
Employee Accredited

Can you attach the file please?

The SGmon log is too large to upload as it is a 2Gb native file that compresses to 80Mb.

Is there anyway I can upload anything over 10mb?

Thanks

I loaded the log into the Console, then saved the Console, so log attached.

I hope that helps.

Thanks again

criley
Employee Accredited

Here is the problem:

BEREMOTE: [10/04/16 12:13:48] [1382] [fsys\shadow] - [FAILED STATUS] Writer=ASR Writer ID={BE000CBE-11FE-4426-9C58-531AA6355FC4} Instance={3A858ACD-B576-4B8D-817E-9C5F62832730} status VSS_E_WRITERERROR_NONRETRYABLE (0x800423F4) state=7

Looks like some problem with the ASR Writer. A Google search on the error code (0x800423F4) finds a lot of hits.

Thanks for the heads up. I'll look into it and report back.

All VSS writers report back as OK, so will have to look at the SQL.

Thanks again

Hi criley,

I've gone through all the vss writers, broken it and then fixed it all.

I am back at the point where I have a successful backup, but no .DR file again.

I ran the debug monitor last night and have attached the log file from it.

If you could have another look at the log and point me in the right direction I would be very grateful.

Many thanks again