cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec 2014 duplicate backup sets without encryption?

LozBC
Level 4

Hi,

As above really!

We are backing up our servers using BE defined passphrase (256 bit AES encryption) on our LTO5/6 drives.

We are going to start supporting an external company and rather than dedicate separate media sets (And tapes) to this company what we want to do is the following:

Setup their jobs to append to our tapes using our current encryption key

In the extremely unlikely scenario that they want a copy of their backups I do not want to give them our tapes (Just incase they get into our data). So what I want to do is duplicate their backup sets onto an unencrypted tape.

When I select a backup set and select the Duplicate option there is an option about encryption which Symantec mentions can be used to encrypt unencrypted backup sets. It also mentions that if a different encryption key is specified only unencrypted data will be encrypted with this key. So I am wondering if I select no encryption will it simply make an encrypted copy, or will it make an unencrypted copy?

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

pkh
   VIP    Certified
When the source is already encrypted and you do not specify encryption in your duplicate job, the original encrypted backup set is duplicated

View solution in original post

pkh
   VIP    Certified
You can either use another encryption key to backup the other party's data or no encryption. It does not matter if they are on the same tape as your data. Encryption is for each individual backup set and not for the whole media

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

pkh
   VIP    Certified
When the source is already encrypted and you do not specify encryption in your duplicate job, the original encrypted backup set is duplicated

LozBC
Level 4

Hi,

Thanks for replying.

Is there anyway to decrypt (Or decrypt and re-encrypt with a new key) an already encrypted backup set?

pkh
   VIP    Certified
You can either use another encryption key to backup the other party's data or no encryption. It does not matter if they are on the same tape as your data. Encryption is for each individual backup set and not for the whole media

Your answer to this is not correct.

It would appear that duplicating an encrypted backup set to a non encrypted one is not possible

You can select the options of none for destination encryption, and this will be taken and entered into the job spec.

But the destination set will still be encrypted, via hardware or software.