cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec 2014: how to optimize too big Sysem State incremental backup

UFO
Level 6

Hi everyone,

It is not the first time this issue is being discussed on Connect: the size of incremental backup for Windows Server 2008 is too big. As I can see this happens because of Windows Server system state architecture - it is big thing by design.

And here's the problem (or call it challenge): how to optimize this? How to make (smart) backup of Windows Server without using too much storage space? And another one - how to remediate expired backup?

sym 2.jpg

sym 3.jpg

sym backup.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

...the only way to optimise your backups to disk might be via dedupe which will backup unique data once, and put pointers in for redundant files.

Thanks!

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

pkh
   VIP    Certified
There is no way to optimise your backup. The size of the backup is dependent on the data. If your backup sets are on disk then they would be deleted by DLM when they expire. There is no way to get them back after they are purged. If you want to keep them longer, then you need to restrain then BEFORE they expire

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

...the only way to optimise your backups to disk might be via dedupe which will backup unique data once, and put pointers in for redundant files.

Thanks!

maurijo
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Only option I see is using deduplication or more compression.

UFO
Level 6

Thank you all for replies. I was thinking that if there's no way to optimize in terms of data specifics, maybe there are some recommendations on how often do these kind of backups. What do you think?

pkh
   VIP    Certified
The system state is needed to recover a server. How often you backup the system state is how current you want your recovered server to be

UFO
Level 6

Thank you. That's what I thought. Unfortunately there's no magic pill. Except deduplication of course :)