cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec 2014 not expiring backup sets?

bodgeup
Level 2

Hi peeps,

I wonder if anyone can help me out?  I'm using Backup Exec 2014 and ive set my backups to expire after 14 days, but I'm constantly having to manually clean up my drive.  The sets are blue and show as "Expired" but I have to manually "Expire" them to delete them, its not cleaning them up itself.  Then I have around 50 that just will not "Expire" at all so I cant get rid of those.

Can anyone tell me how I get the "Expired" sets to auto "Expire" without user input?  Also any ideas how I can delete the 50 odd that will not "Expire" at all?

Thanks

JK

7 REPLIES 7

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

...are you on BE 2014 SP1? If not, consider installing that and then running LiveUpdate in order to install any subsequent patches, and don't forget to push-install these to any remote servers you might have.

Thanks!

pkh
   VIP    Certified
This problem is supposed to be fixed with SP2. If it is not available on Liveupdate, then use the link below to download it. https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/backup-exec-2014-sp2-release-notes-and-technical-information After installing SP2, don't forget to push out your remote agents

bodgeup
Level 2

OK I have updated to SP2 but I didnt push out the agents again?  Would that cause the issue if its the main BExec console that should be doing the Expiring?

Thanks

JK

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Expiring is done by a process named DLM (and not the main console itself). Pushing out the agents is recommended for other reasons.

There are multiple reasons for the backup sets not to expire such as if one-time backup jobs were run (and not scheduled backups), if the backup sets are dependent upon other backup sets (for egs, incremental backup sets are dependent upon the full), if the option to keep the last copy of the recovery chain is enabled etc. Check the audit logs - backup set retention to check if DLM activity is actually running or not as well.

bodgeup
Level 2

Where do I find the option to keep the last copy of the recovery chain?  So I can see if its enabled or disabled, is it part of the job settings or Global settings?

Thanks

JK

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Its under global settings. Check under Configuration & Settings - BE settings - Storage. The option is called "Allow BE to delete all expired backup sets".

pkh
   VIP    Certified
Be aware that if you enable this option you may end up in a situation where you do not have any backup set for your server. For example, you set the retention period for your daily backup and a daily backup fails. DLM will delete the previous good backup set