cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec 2014 on Windows 2012 R2

CDSTechnical
Level 2

Hi

I am hoping someone could assist with a problem that we are facing. We have recently installed Backup Exec 2014 on Windows 2012 R2 and the installation of the product went all OK.

The problem is the tape library. According to the hardware compatibility list our tape library IBM TS3310 is supported but we cannot get the backups to either stream or duplicate to tape.

The Robotic Library and the Tape Drives are all showing within Backup Exec and they do show as online but no tapes are getting loaded and the backups status just sits in active mode but with the state queued. The tape drive occasionally flash with a green play icon then it disappears??? What is also strange is that it can see all the media within the library and it knows the barcode label as well.

All media is sitting in a Scratch Status but nothing ever loads or backs up.

Looking at the event viewer in windows this appears

---
ADAMM configuration warning.
The device driver may not be installed for device :
 Identifier : IBM     3576-MTL        587G.
 Type : MediumChangerPeripheral.
---

But the drivers are up to date and the firmware on the library and the tape devices are also up to date.

Can someone please let me know what drivers are required or what version of drivers this was tested on as i can see all the devices within Windows Device Manager and they are all active with no errors.

Thanks

CDS

5 REPLIES 5

AmolB
Employee Accredited Certified

I would suggest you to run live update and install all the latest updates for Backp Exec.

It is recommended to use Symantec drivers for the tape drive and Microsoft drivers for the autoloader.

With MS drivers the autoloader should appear as Unknown Medium Changer in the Windows Device

Manager.Check Windows event viewer to any error related to the library.

Refer to the below article for troubleshooting Tape Library issues.

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH24414

pkh
   VIP    Certified
Is the media server a VM? If it is, then you are using an unsupported configuration, I.e., using a virtual media to access a real tape library

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Is BE 2014 updated with this HF - http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH217591

Do you receive any errors when running library/drive vendor diagnostics ?

CDSTechnical
Level 2

Hi all

Thank you for responding

AmolB - I have already ran the live updates on backup exec 2014 and apllied the latest hotfixes. I have also tried and unistalled all the drivers for the library. These did show as unknown media changer in Windows Device Manager after removing drivers but did not make any difference on the error that i am reciving both in Backup Exec and Windows Event Log.

pkh - This is a Physical Server directly attached via Fibre.

VJware - The Hotfix has been installed for Backup Exec. There are no errors within Windows Device Manger regarding the library or the drives and running the IBM tools on the Library also communicates all ok.

Thanks

DrAlex
Level 2

Hi All,

we have almost the same configuration and absolutely the same issue.

Is this problem resolved by anyone?

Thank you for a response!